Northrop Grumman - Good company, great people, questionable business decisions | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Northrop Grumman

"Good company, great people, questionable business decisions"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Bethpage, NY
Current Employee - Software Engineer in Bethpage, NY

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent salary.
9/80 work periods (80 hours in 9 days = every other Friday off)
Very smart co-workers.

Cons

Moving most Bethpage jobs out of state in the next year.
Business is very dependent on government budget issues.
Many antiquated, cumbersome security policies that need to be updated.

Other Employee Reviews for Northrop Grumman

"Middle Management needs a shakeup"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Carson, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Carson, CA

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The work was decent and interesting. They also allow a 9/80 schedule which is a big plus! Pay is decent.

Cons

Seniority over attitude. Policy consistently result in the best and brightest leaving (e.g. requiring relocation across the country, only seriously considering the opinions of the grey beards)

Middle management, in my experience is extremely lacking in this technology company. This is across the spectrum from technological understanding to work practices. For instances it's commonly acceptable for management to make statements like "I really don't understand this, its for the smart people to understand" in regards to basic technology concepts like ethernet or Linux. Management also values working overtime and doing nothing higher then working 8 hours and accomplishing task. The more hours you sit at your desk, there is just an assumption that your actually doing more. There is also no vision or risk taking whatsoever and this costs the company overall in loss of contracts due to stagnation. Middle management also cannot identify key people and skill levels of the employees.

I will say though, that this is my experience at one location, other sectors and locations may or may not be different.

Advice to Management

Take some chances, not just on technology but people. Consider promoting based on merit, enthusiasm and ideas rather then just years in service.

Also work harder to retain good people. I've seen some great people leave due to lack of opportunity. Some of these people cannot be replaced and can be extremely productive.

Constant cuts to benefits are a clear signal to employees to look elsewhere. Management should address this to retain good employees

"great learning experience for new grad"

Current Employee - Software Engineer I in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer I in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Worked with a lot of cool technology and got a lot of good hands on learning experience. Benefits were really great.

Cons

seems to have cycles of hiring and layoffs. Promotions and pay increase process seem to be heavily weighted on who you are friends with. I was told I had a great year but only so many people can be promoted so maybe next year...for a few years.

Advice to Management

reward and try to hold on to the good new hires