Northrop Grumman - Northrop Grumman Changed My Life by Otea Leonard | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Northrop Grumman

"Northrop Grumman Changed My Life by Otea Leonard"

Former Employee - Product Trainer III in Chantilly, VA
Former Employee - Product Trainer III in Chantilly, VA

I worked at Northrop Grumman full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible, Team Oriented, Pay Well, and leadership is known to everyone. No one Northrop Employee is lesser than the other. As Product Trainer III on AHLTA II; I was able to work between Alabama's Redstone Arsenal and Fort Rucker and was very highly respected as a Northrop Employee; despite having crossed over from Integic Corporation.

Cons

Cannot remember cons of Northrop. I have gone on to hold technology patents and so much more since having left Northrop Grumman. However, if you're on a contract, beware. Lay off's came yet I was one who was proactive and had already planned my exit in order to prepare for attending Harvard University. However, despite security concerns; I still believe my co-workers should have been told to prepare for layoff's. Regulations allowed this due to the small number of employees there were to be laid off. Not enough to warrant early notification apparently. This was unfair. Then again, such is life.

Advice to Management

Please consider an 'Explorer' type program that potential stellar candidates as well as students may take a peek at Northrop from the Inside. Internships are a commitment and many are just curious. Possibly more live interaction as opposed to online sources. Job fairs and internsips are merely a start! Was last at Northrop in 2006.

Other Employee Reviews for Northrop Grumman

"Not a great place for young talent"

Former Employee - Software Engineer II in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer II in San Jose, CA

I worked at Northrop Grumman full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good work/life balance
    You're given time to learn what you need, not a lot of pressure
    Good mentorship program, although mentors don't seem to have a lot of power to help you

Cons

Entrenched staff gives young engineers little room to get challenging work and be promoted
    By-the-book development process, little room for creativity
    Micromanagement from your immediate supervisor, most likely due to the need to adhere to internal processes
    Current DoD budget cuts keep staff in fear of losing their jobs
    Crappy benefits, no ESPP, poor 401k selection, high deductible insurance plan
    Bad coffee
    Very spartan office
    This is the only company that I would not rejoin among all the companies I've worked for

Advice to Management

Keep your new hires engaged and motivated, otherwise they'll leave out of boredom

2. "Cool projects, typical mega-corporation"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Northrop Grumman full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of resources to fund research and development and nice hardware to work on, interesting projects, they care about work/life balance, 9/80 schedule, lots of training opportunities

Cons

Not the smartest people, moves like molasses because of government contracts, so-so morale, below industry standard pay, typical corporate burecracy

Advice to Management

Keep pandering to the Gov't for Defense munny