Northrop Grumman - Has been better. | Glassdoor

"Has been better."

Current Employee - Program Manager
Current Employee - Program Manager

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great experience and a lot of great people

Cons

Starting to forget about the employees.

Advice to Management

To much focus on overhead and saving a penny.

Other Employee Reviews for Northrop Grumman

"Northrop Grumman is an engineering company stuck in the past, with little room for innovation, creativity or energy."

Former Employee - Logistics Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Logistics Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at Northrop Grumman full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They pay their engineers well. Their benefits packages were competitive offering full health, dental, and vision insurance.

Cons

Northrop Grumman is a place where dreams go to die. Nobody is interested in evolving technology or practices with the times, and working with ex-military management leaves no room for compromise with employees. The environment is very repressive. New ideas are not welcome, especially from anyone under the age of 40.

It's their way or the highway. I took the highway and never looked back.

Advice to Management

I'm not sure what the point in offering advice would be if nobody listened to me while I was working there.

"Its not what you know its who you know unless you are a woman and in that case neither required."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Linthicum, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Linthicum, MD

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Impossible to get fired.
    - friendly employees
    - year around 9/80 work schedule

Cons

- employeesssible to get an interview to get promoted in to management despite exceeding qualifications. Jobs are predetermined for hand picked employees and posting to hire process is just a formality.
    - company has a "high potentials" list comprised by upper management primarily based on popularity and children of executives. If you didnt make the list then dont expect to move up in the company.
    - Personal salary increase of less then 1% per year over a five year period. Despite the fact that work was highly regarded and only limiting factor was my compensation relative to my peers. They bring you in laterally and then tell you you are overpaid according to market research ( source unknown). If you do get an offer ask what percent you are to market.
    - performance management system is waste of time because you rating is predetermined prior to your review and no negotiations on the number.
    - countless lip service but very little action by upper management.
    - this is an engineering company. Raises are done in tiers. Even though need all functions to run a successful program engineering receives highest raise, technical mgmt next and business mgmt gets the least amount.
    - employees to management ratio too low. Most cases two employees to a manager which adds unnecessary layers and micro management.
    - work life balance is preached but NOT practiced. its frowned upon to take time.
     I

Advice to Management

Change your promotion and raise practices to attract and retain your top talent which may not be on your high potentials list.
    get all employees on cost cutting mode and not work personal agendas to survive.