Northrop Grumman - Great to work at while they need you... | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Northrop Grumman

"Great to work at while they need you..."

Current Employee - Program Manager in Arlington, VA
Current Employee - Program Manager in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Established company, with lots going on.

Cons

Almost impossible to move to other parts of the company, from where I was at.

Advice to Management

Invest in keeping your people within the company and don't let them go because they end up on the bench.

Other Employee Reviews for Northrop Grumman

"Good place to launch career."

Former Employee - Senior Mechanical Design Engineer in Linthicum, MD
    Former Employee - Senior Mechanical Design Engineer in Linthicum, MD

I worked at Northrop Grumman full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

PDP, Leadership programs, extensive training on cutting edge technology. The workload was fairly decent considering the defense industry climate.

Cons

Low raises, bureaucracy leads to new positions, when good at what you do it can be difficult to move to new job functions, layoffs at least once a year. Good ole boy network, nepotism shown towards 'favored' employees.

Advice to Management

Stsrt clipping off the top of the food chain (management) rather than regular engineering/business personnel.

"Extremely Poor Management NGC Space and defense formally TRW"

Former Employee - Technician in Redondo Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Technician in Redondo Beach, CA

I worked at Northrop Grumman full-time

Pros

It used to be an excellent place to work. The benefits, pay, and challenges were great, but they are not during much research any longer due to government cutbacks. Their are still great people working there with excellent work ethics. My last supervisor was great and I worked in another department, which offered me a job, that was great.

Cons

NGC took over TRW and their management really changed for the worst. Under TRW the management wasn't great, but after it rely went downhill. Management is not open and plays favorites with friends, which is fairly typical in a big company. However, now it is extreme in my department and the morale is terrible. This is not necessarily company wide, because each department is run almost autonomously. I have met people after I left that work for NGC and the overall consensus is that the effects of management are taking a toll. Their employee reviews are worthless and if you did extremely well for the year, they will find any little thing to discredit you. The management directs all promotions and it does not matter what your supervisor thinks, management tells them what to think. The upper management builds their own little empires with their own minions and if opposition occurs they deal with it harshly. I saw very good employees lose their jobs and replaced by incompetents. My manager's buddy was a total incompetent that made about 170K/year doing technician the work. HR is a completely company sided affair that any employee should avoid at all cost. I stayed for retirement benefits, but wish I had pursued another field, which I am looking into now. Be advised if your degree is not directly associated with your job, like a biology degree they don't recognize it.

Advice to Management

Pier reviews and replace management with non engineers, because most engineers are not good managers. Satellites are not aircraft and you can't treat them the same.