Northrop Grumman - Would not recommend this company. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Northrop Grumman

"Would not recommend this company."

Current Employee - Engineer I in El Segundo, CA
Current Employee - Engineer I in El Segundo, CA

Pros

If you like working on defense contracts, and don't mind paper work, it isn't a bad place for job stability (and knowing what to expect on a day-to-day basis) when there are plenty of contracts. Watch out when contracts are about to end, though.

Cons

Once contracts come to a close, you may be laid off (it's the nature of defense contracting). Middle management is pretty inept in terms of assigning adequate work and encouraging career growth. Everyday operations are incredibly inefficient and riddled with large amounts of paperwork and Powerpoint presentations, but very little actual design work. Promotions are given out based on tenure, not merit. And raises are given out based on averages amongst people with your same job title, so all-in-all, raises are given just at the level of inflation (or a bit lower).

Advice to Management

Encourage hard work by rewarding people based on merit, not tenure. Apply company policies with integrity, do not use them as excuses to penalize employees.

Other Employee Reviews for Northrop Grumman

"Northrop Grumman --Great peers, great executives, not such great mid-level management."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Baton Rouge, LA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Baton Rouge, LA

Pros

My peers are outstanding. The executive team is outstanding. There is a ton of room for growth within Northrop Grumman. Saying that, it's a great company and I would encourage anyone to pursue an opportunity within Northrop Grumman.

Cons

1) Raises are given to groups rather than to the individuals who do the most.

2) My biggest complaint is mid-level managers aren't up exactly "with it". The ones I work with rule with an iron first and are ignorant of the current business climate in America. This might just be in my business unit, but from talking to others it seems to be some type of odd trend.

Advice to Management

Stock mid-level management with people more in tune with today's technology and business climate.

2. "Cyclic Nature of Aircraft Design Presents Challenges for Engineers and Management"

Current Employee - Senior Structural Analyst in El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Structural Analyst in El Segundo, CA

Pros

Presently (2008), the NGC Integrated Systems (IS) sector has a number of unique programs that are at/near the leading edge of aircraft design. The work can be challenging, and there are opportunities for rapid career growth (especially for junior engineers).

Cons

Work on aircraft programs in the IS sector is cyclic: the best work is during the design phase for new programs. When this is over, engineering takes a back seat to manufacturing, and the job becomes more mundane. Unfortunately, this is the typical situation since (a) new designs programs begin/end in a few years; (b) new programs are not frequent; and (c) many engineers will not get to work the new programs since some support is required to manufacturing for existing aircraft.

Advice to Management

I will define "senior management" here to be the management at my facility that can directly influence my work environment: Management's challenge is to create a stimulating environment for design engineers, given that our expertise/brainpower is mostly drawn upon during the design/development of new aircraft. The NGC IS sector essentially manufactures aircraft, and manufacturing support is significantly less challenging for design engineers. Management needs to find a way to challenge the design staff, or risk a high turnover of experienced engineers.