Northrop Grumman - Exciting projects, warm work environment, solid company | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Northrop Grumman

"Exciting projects, warm work environment, solid company"

Current Employee - Manager in San Diego, CA
Current Employee - Manager in San Diego, CA

Pros

Flexibility and exciting projects, very concerned about employee welfare. diverse set of locations withing Southern California. Easy to relocate within the state. Leaders are positive up beat group. Probably loyal to a fault for employees.

Cons

Slow bureaucratic methods. Trying to cover to much of the water front. Processes in some cases are very old school. Leaders are not rewarded for taking risks. Corporate starting down a path of one-size fits all-itis. Assume cooler heads will prevail before this goes to far.

Advice to Management

get more focused on a smaller scope of projects.

Other Employee Reviews for Northrop Grumman

"Potential Employee Beware"

Current Employee - Developer in Woodlawn, MD
    Current Employee - Developer in Woodlawn, MD

Pros

Money, resume building, decent benefits. Good fit for someone with a military background or mentality and for computer programmers. Work in the government health field instead of defense.

Cons

Non-programmers tend to be treated as second-class citizens. Contractors are given less respect than furniture - often not invited to on-site parties held during office hours nor to meetings where information is given out that concerns them, too. The culture is paranoid and cut throat. Modern technology is not embraced. Employees cannot get industry-standard tools they need to do their jobs properly. It's an atmosphere of virtual dumpster diving. This office does government contract work exclusively, thus there is not much technical challenge. The challenge is trying to stay sane with an often difficult client. Small company mentality inside a behemoth of a business

Advice to Management

Trust that employees and contractors are there to do good work and want to help the company and clients, and are not out to screw anyone over or steal secrets. Ask yourselves why the most talented and best employees are leaving in droves. Ask yourselves why young employees leave as soon as they get enough experience to go elsewhere. Modernize your thoughts and the way the office is run. Get people the tools they need to do their current jobs well and push on to offer even more to clients. Northrop Grumman is big enough that there has to be a way of getting the money if they are serious about growing the business.

"Northrop Grumman, Still A Good Place To Work!"

Current Employee - Project Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in San Diego, CA

Pros

I’ve been with NGC for over 20 years. A solid reputation for getting the job done helped me survive the layoffs in the 80s & 90s. The main reasons I stay are the people, relationships, the opportunities and job stability. I've worked on so many programs and learned more than I ever imagined, worked my way up from a draftsman to a site lead. The opportunities are availalbe, if you are willing to work hard. Finding the right leadership is necessary to make a difference. All those friends that left in the 80's are all starting to come back to NGC. Glad i stayed and built a solid network which helps me accomplish my goals.

Cons

Unfortunately, some programs still endorse the "good old boys" network. It's sad to see this thriving and how it intimidates employees. The politics involved make my head spin, it's amazing that we can actually produce a product with people spending so many calories jockeying for position and power. I've watched it for 20+ years and can't believe it's still alive in this day and age. Grow up gentlemen, it would be nice to see you focus on your employees and the task at hand instead of pointing the finger at someone else for your shortcomings! Be accountable to your teams, not power hungry and empire builders!

Advice to Management

Change with the times! Stop the politics! Do what's best for the employees!