Northrop Grumman - So of the best professional experience I have ever had in my career. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Northrop Grumman

"So of the best professional experience I have ever had in my career."

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sierra Vista, AZ
Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sierra Vista, AZ

Pros

For the team I was on - great synergy, always worked with the latest technologies. Some of the things we developed were very progressive and innovative - leading edge stuff. That had a lot to do with the customers and their missions.

Cons

For that particular project, not enough space for all the people who worked on the project. It got better with time though. I think fewer retired military in senior positions would have made a big difference too.

Advice to Management

I think management back east would do well to look to hiring Senior Managers for the Sierra Vista area from places outside of the local area. Certainly some people with more a more technical background would likely help.

Other Employee Reviews for Northrop Grumman

"Management stuck in a vacuum from 1985"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

Pros

Good benefits at a low cost

Cons

Meetings, meetings meetings.....which are the 1- 5 hour solution to every question that should only take an email or short call to solve. Most people from bottom to top level are in meetings at least 6 hours per day, with most days being 8+ hrs. Then you see emails at all hours of the night and on weekends/holidays as that's the only time anyone really goes to work. Every meeting is an inquisition or finger pointing session as well. Most of the mgmt have been there since the 80's and are stuck in that mentality. Definitely an "I say, you do" mgmt environment with little consideration for what the employees think. People with 10-20 yrs of experience are treated like children. Mgmt pushes the buttons, sit back, provide ZERO direction, and then ask "where's my stuff"? Why pay them the high salaries when you could hire anyone off the street to do that?

Advice to Management

Bring in new mgmt blood to McLean (if anyone's willing) and be a little more progressive with regard to mgmt styles and work environment. Unfortunately, however, I'm not sure if that will work as most people at all levels share nothing as to how to do anything, and there's of course, no training.

2. "Not as great as it should be."

Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Sacramento, CA

Pros

The work itself is quite interesting. The projects have real world impact and I enjoy being a part of that.

Cons

Recognition for long and hard work is lacking. Managers do not know how to keep the team motivated and maintain a positive work environment.

Advice to Management

HIgh level leadership is working on improving the work culture. However, I'm not convinced middle-management is truly on board. They treat it as "important", yet give the impression that they just want to get high scores, check the box, and pat themselves on the back.