Northrop Grumman - Decent Place to Work | Glassdoor

"Decent Place to Work"

Current Employee - Configuration Management Specialist in Reston, VA
Current Employee - Configuration Management Specialist in Reston, VA

Pros

From what I understand experiences can very greatly depending on the project. I'm fortunate to work at a project where everyone has their own office, there is an annual bonus of 10-15%, and we can work from home one day a week. Also, there is hardly any over time. I don't have to carry a pager or cell phone. They do pay for training but it does depend on how much we have in the budget for it. I think the pay is very good compared to other similar positions but it may be unique to the project I'm on.

Cons

The good experiences I have are not company wide. Not every project gets the same benefits that I get on my project. In many cases, you could be working in a cubicle, not allowed to do any telecommuting, and working over time. It's completely dependent on the project. They do allow you to purchase up to an extra week of vacation but both your sick leave and your vacation time come out of the same bucket. The only company sponsored fun event is the Christmas party and it's nothing spectacular. I do work in a group where we rarely work overtime so I'm fortunate.

Advice to Management

They promote based on political reasons and personal likes/dislikes rather than ability. At least that's what I've seen. Also, even when people are completely imcompetent, they're scared to fire them because of lawsuits.

Other Employee Reviews for Northrop Grumman

"It's a very good place to work"

Current Employee - Production Planner (A2) in Newport News, VA
    Current Employee - Production Planner (A2) in Newport News, VA

Pros

The flexability to start new programs, if a need can be shown. A flexable work schedule that spans the pay period. I am recognized by management and peers for the effort I put forth. The ability to move around to different jobs within the company has become much improved. It used to be that unless you were asked to apply for a job, you didn't dare apply. Failure to follow this unwritten rule was cause to be "blackballed"and the offender's career was over.

Cons

The environment of the shipyard is hard. The good-old-boy network is slowly leaving, but not quick enough. When ther is a problem, there is often more finger pointing, than a desire to find the root cause. This has changed somewhat, but its still prevelant.

Advice to Management

Responsibility should be upheld where responsibility is given.

2. "No employer is perfect, but this one is better than most"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Pros

depends on your group, but for the most part, a lot of the typical big corporation politics is kept to a minimum- do your job, tell someone if you don't have what you need to do your job, keep your manager happy, and he/she will keep you happy...very straightforward place

Cons

very, very big company, sometimes easy to get lost in the shuffle, or difficult to find someone who is an expert in XYZ because they may be in another building, or another state, or even another country

Advice to Management

more frequent communication from up above would be helpful