Northrop Grumman - Great pay but communication could be better | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Northrop Grumman

"Great pay but communication could be better"

Current Employee - Logistics in Tinker AFB, OK
Current Employee - Logistics in Tinker AFB, OK

Pros

You are compensated more than fairly.

Cons

There is a lack of communication between management and employees. When circumstances dictates meeting a time critical schedule the management doesn't fully explain why it's time critical and what the outcome would be if not met. Furthermore when an employee does go "beyond" the call yea there is a pat on the back but not in front of peers where it has some meaning. A manager will give praise in private and scorn in public. All management training I had tells me the opposite. Praise in public, scorn in private but since the money is good I will continue to work here as I really enjoy my standard of living.

Advice to Management

Come work with me for a day and see what I do for Northrop Grumman.

Other Employee Reviews for Northrop Grumman

"It is a great place to start your career."

Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Melbourne, FL
    Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Melbourne, FL

Pros

My direct technical supervisor never comes around and hassles me about what I'm doing or how I'm doing it. The other software engineers here are mostly competent in their line of work and don't mind helping each other solve difficult problems. The employee base is fairly older, though. This isn't really a huge problem, but some of the technical work models and ideas are a bit dated.

Cons

I question the ability of management to make practical and sound technical decisions. A lot of times it seems the best way to solve a problem is over looked for the most expedient.

Advice to Management

You desperately need to hold onto your young hires. They are leaving in droves for better opportunities else where.

"Lots of Overtime"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Elkridge, MD
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Elkridge, MD

Pros

Good company for someone who is good at following orders and who knows how to not cave into the pressure of working overtime.

Cons

You will work a lot of overtime as a software engineer. It is considered your duty. Unfortunately the company has a habit of trying to get their workforce to make up "non-productive" time such as going to the bathroom, going to "lunch meetings", traveling on company business, and anything else that doesn't directly help their bottom line. There is a "workforce initiative" which is supposed to mitigate some of the tension related to things like this, but ultimately they do not encourage their work force to use the correct charge numbers for these tasks. For example, one of their tactics is: your manager will tell you that you get paid for overtime, then (at near future date) reveal that you are not authorized to charge overtime and proceed to tell you X amount of work needs to be completed "or else." For the particular project I am working on (the postal office's flats sorting project), I had a manager once admit candidly to me that they were told explicitly to use an "very aggressive software schedule". In once instance, after telling a manager it would take 8 days for me to complete something, they told me that I have to do it in 4 and that charging overtime was not allowed. From talking to other coworkers and my direct bosses openly about the problem, I have gathered that the overtime problem ultimately stems from upper level management (this is good in the sense that the manager directly above you is more often or not "on your side", but bad in the sense that the overtime problems are widespread amongst software engineers).

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees when they tell you that your not giving them enough time to get the required tasks done.