Northwest Community Hospital - i am so glad i came here | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Northwest Community Hospital

"i am so glad i came here"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Arlington Heights, Cook, IL
Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Arlington Heights, Cook, IL

Pros

they actually "walk the talk" by that i mean that upper management treats us like we are supposed to treat our patients.
for example: when we had a bad snow storm a couple years ago, freezing cold. the CEO and HR Dir. were in the garage thanking people w/ a blockbuster gift card. then they walked thru the hospital doing the same thing.
i came from a hospital which :said: "Patients come first" but actually their message was "make it look like patients come first and closely control the $$"
not that my hospital hasn't had the typical downturn in this recent economy, we have. but spirits are high, vacancies are very low. and even when we had a freeze on raises they made it palatable.

Cons

no on-site child care, [nevertheless we were awarded 100 best places to work.]
they are slow to make changes. we just got computer charting 2 yrs ago. and we are still not totally paperless yet. ex: computer Dr orders are still gradually being phased in.
meals are rather expensive- except breakfast.
we are going to consistent uniform colors [that can be good but also $$ in transition]

Advice to Management

keep up the good work. continue to be visible. and even more when the economy is slow

Other Employee Reviews for Northwest Community Hospital

"The staff and management cares about customer's satisfaction"

Current Employee - Acute Care Staff Nurse in Arlington Heights, Cook, IL
    Current Employee - Acute Care Staff Nurse in Arlington Heights, Cook, IL

Pros

The Transformational leadership in the hospital provides opportunities for the staff to grow and be included in decision-making for the improvement of the organization.

Cons

Due to the economic situation, there are many changes in the insurance benefits, salary merit and other issues to cut down expenses. Sometimes, the nurses get overwhelmed with admissions in the unit one after another, without acknowledging the safety of the patient when there is not enough help needed by the staff.

Advice to Management

Our hospital values customer satisfaction, internal and external. As a staff nurse, I believe that the management should be more sensitive to the needs of staff nurses to be able to take care of their patient. A very stressful nurse affects the delivery of care and service. My emergency room experience (with my family member and friends) are ALWAYS negative. I have to fill the gap with my friends and family's dissatisfaction with ER service.

"A fair employer and a great place to work."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington Heights, Cook, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington Heights, Cook, IL

Pros

Good location, competent leadership, large employer in area, adequate benefits. An organization which has an interest in maintaining a good reputation in the community, (as all hospitals have), which helps ensure good treatment of employees.

Good teamwork in many patient care departments.

A commitment by the organization to make healthcare accessible to the entire local community--offsite treatment centers, access centers for patients with limited/no insurance are available.

Large, experienced medical staff with good reputations.

Wide variety of specialized care available...in heart treatment, GI treatment in particular.

NCH has received, and earned, many awards from organizations which evaluate the quality of hospitals and other healthcare organizations.

Ambitious physical expansion of the hospital and offsite facilities in progress in an attempt to keep NCH competitive in the area.

Cons

For many years now, construction on the main campus has been a serious disadvantage to patients and staff.

Some staff, and some patients, feel that the hospital's expansion has been too ambitious, leading to unnecessary disruption in patient flow and treatment, staffing, staff reimbursement and benefits...may be too ambitious an expansion commitment in the present financial environment.

Benefits to staff recently cut, at very short notice, and to the serious disadvantage of staff at lower pay levels. Only explanation offered was that these cuts were 'in line with local hospital's benefit levels'...but it is always difficult to adjust to lower reimbursement abruptly.

Advice to Management

Increase lead time on bad news to employees about benefit cuts/pay cuts/pay freezes.

The better signage, patient care carts, good volunteer staffing, and other efforts to make it physically easier for patients and visitors to get around the building are apparent to staff. Many patients and visitors continue to complain that NCH is large, confusing, and difficult to navigate.
    The situation at the ER entrance in particular is very bad...distance from door to ER treatment areas alone is bad, without the problems due to construction.

DO SOMETHING about the outrageously long and repetitive registration process for simple outpatient visits.

More staff at central scheduling would be helpful, although this has worked very well in comparison to previous system.