Northwestern Mutual - You have to start with your own personal contacts | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Northwestern Mutual

"You have to start with your own personal contacts"

Current Employee - College Financial Representative
Current Employee - College Financial Representative

Pros

If you are good at it, you will make a lot of money. I learned a lot in training. It is a good experience.

Cons

It is difficult to get clients when you are so young. I used up my network too quickly. You have to be really busy to make any kind of money.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good training. Offer to take some interns with you to some of your meeting so they can learn the ropes more quickly without having to burn through some of their potential clients.

Other Employee Reviews for Northwestern Mutual

1. "Great learning experience"

Current Employee - Financial Representative Intern
    Current Employee - Financial Representative Intern

Pros

Very nice employees with competitive atmosphere in which everyone is pushing each other to succeed. Great managing director and managing staff

Cons

Some of the interns were dejected after being rejected with sales

"Concerned Former Agent"

Former Employee - Financial Representative
    Former Employee - Financial Representative

Pros

$4,000 sign on/training pay. Then pay is based soley on commission.

Cons

I worked as a representative and sold life insurance policies to my family and close friends. I left the company recently and assigned new agents to my clients. An insurance company, by law, has 60 days to deliver a policy once a check has been recieved. All of the clients I had signed within that 60 day period prior to my leaving the company were never sent policies and were continously charged monthly after the 60 day legal time period. When one of the clients inquired about her policy, she was informed she would need to sign on for an "extention" to continue the application of her policy. The insurance company then contacted me to demand collection of the commission from the "lapsed policy". I contacted the other friends and family to see if this was an isolated incident and all of the policies signed within the 60 day time period had expired but all the clients were still being charged. I then contacted agents at the company to see if this had happened to them and was informed of numberous employee complaints about lapsing policies due to the company's negligence in delivering the actual polices. Agents are having commissions taken monthly for these errors and clients are being charged monthly for insurance products that are void to them. Don't let this happen to you and your clients!