Northwestern Mutual - Overall my experience is unbelievable and very rewarding for my hard work! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Northwestern Mutual

"Overall my experience is unbelievable and very rewarding for my hard work!"

Current Employee - Financial Representative in Latham, NY

Pros

Family atmoshpere, strong growth potential, flexibility in time and non stop growth in knowledge.

Cons

Tough in the beginning from an income perspective but very rewarding after a good amount of time passes.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to everyone even the guys not there yet in production, they may be your best investment ever with a little TLC!

Other Employee Reviews for Northwestern Mutual

1. "One of the best choices I have made in my life!"

Current Employee - Financial Representative in Latham, NY

Pros

Northwestern Mutual is the place to be if you want to be in control of your own destiny. Northwestern has a culture of comprehensive financial planning. Many of there products are considered by most to be the best in the industry. Having said that, they don't corner the market on every product. The beautiful thing about Northwestern is that you can also write business through other companies. I truly go into every client appointment knowing that I will never compromise what is in the best interest of my clients. The other great thing about Northwestern is that you do not have to sign a non-compete clause. If something ever changes and you are not happy, you can leave and take your client relationships with you. At the end of the day, I have a huge competitive advantage with Northwestern as only Northwestern Mutual Reps can sell there products but we can sell the majority of other carriers. If someone's card doesn't say Northwestern, they cannot sell the product...period. This opens a lot of doors for me.

Cons

The greatest downside to working at Northwestern is that we cannot incorporate or set up our own company name. My ego would much rather have my own business name, but at the end of the day, I understand why they do it. They want Financial Representatives to have "skin in the game". Meaning they don't want you to hide behind the legal protection of a corporation. If you are doing things that are wrong, your exposure is much greater when you risk your own personal assets.

Advice to Management

I would encourage the management to continue to think about the Financial Representatives. Northwestern has always put the policyowners first and I don't believe that should ever change. Having said that, our company is great because we have one of the most productive field forces that has ever existed. When at all possible also make sure you go the extra mile for the representatives as well.

2. "Amazing place to work, great people, worthy work, caring company."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albany, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albany, NY

Pros

Opportunties for education, advancement, and mentorship. Freedom & accountability. A company who really lives it's values. Great leadership, very open to feedback and ideas for everyone.

Cons

You have to have a strong sense of personal responsiblity. This is not the place for people who like to fly under the radar, just hoping to "get by".

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Open channels of communication work well. Everyone appreciates that you live by your values. Perks are great too!