Northwestern Mutual - Great job excellent atmosphere | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Northwestern Mutual

"Great job excellent atmosphere"

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Troy, MI
Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Troy, MI

Pros

it is a great place to work at your own leisure the people and atmosphere are great your earning potential is unlimited at northwestern mutual. The internship is rated amongst the best in the nation. The hours can be long but it all pays in the end. Northwestern is ranked as the best and it is because of its employees.

Cons

It is hard to launch a career with minimual funds the begging pay is low but you are given the tools to suceed. You get what you put in but advancement can be slow. Be prepared to earn your paycheck. Long hours but very rewarding.

Advice to Management

They do a great job at giving employees the tools needed to suceed. The harder you work the more you are rewarded.

Other Employee Reviews for Northwestern Mutual

"Excellent, honest, admirable leader."

Current Employee - Analyst in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Analyst in Milwaukee, WI

Pros

Stable workplace and excellent working environment.

Cons

Extremely slow advancement & salary increases.

Advice to Management

Look within the organization to tap into existing talent. Many individuals have worked in the same position for years and in some cases, that creates a situation for stale management and leadership practices. GROW the staff!! Pay individuals commensurate with their talent. It is a known fact within the investment community that NM is a stable place to work but if you care to pursue a comfortable financial future, it will be difficult doing so working here. Consider doing things differently than the way NM has always done it! Many, many times, individuals have been told (by management that has been here for 20+ years) that advancement in this company can only be achieved through long-term dedication to your position. After 7 years and 2 Master's Degrees, I, like many of my counterparts, are stuck in the same position with considerably increased talent to bring to the table yet we're held back by the lack of advancement in the area we have been groomed to be 'experts' in and are told that getting promoted in your own position "doesn't happen here @ NM". The only way to advance is to either leave and come back or change your career internally.

2. "Northwestern Mutual provides a great place to work."

Current Employee - Security Officer/Protective Services in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Security Officer/Protective Services in Milwaukee, WI

Pros

I believe that Northwestern Mutual has proven it's record as a great place to work. The people I work with have always been supportive of my efforts, and work together as a true team. This is the first time in my work history that I can truly say I found a place of employment that has provided me a solid foundation. Northwestern Mutual has been truthful to employees in its promise to help its employees grow in their career expectations, and has provided a promising future.

Cons

The only downside with Northwestern Mutual has been my daily long commute to work . The increase in gas prices has been hard. The counter-balance of the work atmosphere and dependability of the job far outways any negative
    attributes which have arised in my career. If you give your best at Northwestern Mutual, the return you receive brings personal reward and satisfaction.

Advice to Management

I work most often with my co-workers, with limit commuication with Senior Management. I believe that more interaction with Senior Management would help in answering questions that arise on the job that may cause stress.