Northwestern Mutual - One of a kind sales experience | Glassdoor
  1. "One of a kind sales experience"

Current Contractor - Field Sales Representative in Delran, NJ

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual for more than 8 years

Pros

The sales and customer service experience with NML is priceless. I had to leave this company for personal reasons but to this day - 15 years later I still use the same sales and customer service skills. Working at NML is one of the best career decisions I ever made.

Cons

This is more of a recommendation for new agents starting out of college. You are self employed as an agent in this business. We all know college students are broke upon graduation, so it may not be a bad idea to get a part time in the evening only or weekends till cash flow builds up

Northwestern Mutual2017-07-09
  1. "Fun, energetic environment with real hands-on experience in the financial world."

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in West Hartford, CT

I worked at Northwestern Mutual for less than a year

Pros

During my first interview, I sat in the waiting area and I could tell by the atmosphere that this is a place where people enjoy to work. Everyone is very friendly and they are always willing to help you if you have any questions. I really enjoyed the freedom of creating my own schedule, especially with pre-planned vacations. Joint work with full-time advisors was very helpful. I was able to watch their techniques... when meeting with potential clients, and it taught me how to connect with the person sitting across from you. Coming into the internship, I had no clue what to expect with the financial planning process. However, they teach their interns all the ins and outs of it, and how it could be a benefit to people in our community. NM is also HUGE on their involvement in the community. We were able to set up a lemonade stand just outside our office and raise money for a charity called Alex’s Lemonade Stand. This charity provides researchers the necessary tools to fight childhood cancer! This internship is ranked as one of the Top Ten internships in the country, and there is no evidence that can contradict that. I was very blessed to be able to participate in the internship over this past summer.

Cons

If you are not self-confident and determined, this internship might not be the right one for you.

Advice to Management

Keep promoting the internship to college kids all over the country!

Northwestern Mutual2019-08-08
  2. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great training and work/life balance

Cons

Commission only makes it tough for some people to succeed.

Northwestern Mutual2019-12-10

Discover more reviews about Northwestern Mutual.