Northwestern Mutual - Great Experience, but relative | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Northwestern Mutual

"Great Experience, but relative"

Current Intern - Financial Representative Intern in Richmond, VA
Current Intern - Financial Representative Intern in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

My internship at Northwestern was one of the best summers I have ever had. You can make a lot of good money meet a lot of great people. The networking opportunities of this internship is probably the most prominent attribute to this internship. The development is great and go to Milwaukee for the Annual meeting. You will not regret it.

Cons

The experience is quite relative. Some offices are the total opposite of my own experience. Try to get a feel for the people during your interview. Be prepared to dial old friends and family trying to sell them things. However, NFMN products are superb, so it was easy for me to have a good attitude about selling to people I am close to.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

Other Employee Reviews for Northwestern Mutual

1. "Some of the best training in the industry"

Former Employee - Financial Representative in Waukesha, WI
    Former Employee - Financial Representative in Waukesha, WI

I worked at Northwestern Mutual full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Two offices to my knowledge, Chicago and Milwaukee, have managing partners who push their financial reps harder than anyone else in the business. There's a reason why they are so successful.

Training is very thorough and had several headhunters contact me for other opportunities based solely on my experience with NMFN.

I worked out of the Waukesha, WI office and had the best support from the College Unit Director, Managing Director, and other reps within the office.

Cons

I can't say anything bad about the company. It's a wonderful place to work. Well, it would be nice if the financial reps got to taste some of that awesome food at the home office.

Advice to Management

Keep it up fellas.

2. "Great company with great people...be prepared to cold call and bother your family and friends"

Former Contractor - Financial Representative in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Contractor - Financial Representative in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Northwestern Mutual as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

High integrity, great training, good people, excellent brand recognition, very professional, willingness to help you succeed.

Cons

Cold calling and bothering your friends and family. I was told there is no cold calling as they build their client base through "personal referrals"...unfortunately that means calling everyone you know and asking them for every number they will give you. Soon after I started my closest friends were ducking my calls.

Advice to Management

Share the "abandoned clients" with newcomers to help them build a client base, add a base salary for the first year or so to get new agents up and on their feet.