Northwestern Mutual - Financial Rep | Glassdoor

"Financial Rep"

Pros

They have a good training program
You earn what you put into it
Talented upper management
They want you to have a life outside of work

Cons

It's a lot of hard work
You have to do cold calling or as they word it, " favorable introductions"
You have to start with a strong network of people

Other Employee Reviews for Northwestern Mutual

"Very overrated company to work for"

Pros

- Great insurance products
    -Mutual company

Cons

Where to begin...

The training, which they deem to be the best, doesn't really provide much substance at all. For some, it might help I guess. I was a finance major so I had a good handle of lots of the topics covered. Most of it was just product knowledge with some basic sales language thrown in as well. The training didn't really help on how to establish a market in new areas. Just basically start with family and friends and get referrals. That didn't work so well.

The joint work, as some here have discussed, is ridiculous. The few times I did joint work it hurt more than helped. My three largest clients were brought on by just me. One joint rep was way too aggressive and cost me two possibly good clients. If you don't use joint work they will look down on you. After that, I didn't use it hardly at all and was basically told I had to start using it again. Mind you, I had much better success on my own than with joint work. Plus, as noted in other posts, joint workers take 50% of your commission.

They strongly encourage you to attend several weekly meetings. These are the biggest joke of all. They provide very little substance at all in these meetings and honestly, are a waste of time. They are providing no pay for these meetings so there is little incentive to go. I can make more money out networking myself and NML than in there. My main problem with the meetings is that they provide very little valuable insight as how to gain new clients and how to get prospective clients to come aboard. They offer the same advice and sales pitch from day one. Well when that isn't working they have no advice left. Just vague lines bits of advice and wisdom that isn't related to anyone's questions.

Finally, the fact that you must pay for virtually everything is crazy. A few months after coming on board we had to attend the Annual meeting. This was something we had to pay for on our own. It was an almost $400 expense not to mention you aren't making any money there. Again, lots of vague advice in the speeches and meetings as well. No one really ever gives concrete answers.

Advice to Management

Pay a base salary even if its only six months. This will help reps get through the inital phase and actually have made a little bit of money.

Do not make reps pay for the annual meeting. That is a large expense for a rep only on the job a couple months.

2. "Good Company"

I worked at Northwestern Mutual full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Company to work for. Good values. Hard working people.

Cons

Commission based. Some managers are better than others.