Northwestern Mutual - Phenomenal Opportunity - for the right person | Glassdoor

"Phenomenal Opportunity - for the right person"

Current Employee - Wealth Management Advisor in La Jolla, CA

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I'm 10 years into a phenomenal career. I always wanted to have my own business. I have tremendous freedom in terms of how I work and how I spend my time. There is no other career I know of that provides such an optimal balance between incredible earning power/success and quality of life. Many of my clients make high 6 and 7 figure incomes. I wouldn't trade places with any of them because they all sacrifice... significantly on lifestyle to make that income; they're all working 70 or 80 hours a week, constantly traveling, and they will be for the rest of their careers. I make mid 6 figures (about $500,000), my income grows meaningfully each year, and I probably am out of the office for about 2 months in total each year. It doesn't get any better. Oh, and I have company-funded pension and 401(k) plans. It's a phenomenal long-term opportunity to start a business without any money out of pocket and with very little downside risk.

Cons

Must be ok with meaningfully delayed gratification. Must be a self-starter. This career isn't for most people because it's hard. Not intellectually, but rather it requires significant drive and someone that's willing to work for a long time to actually build something (ie a business) as opposed to someone that just wants to show up, work hard, and get paid (like in a normal job) but without any meaningful... long-term wealth or income earning potential. ** This is not a good fit for most people - they simply don't have the drive or tenacity - but for the right person looking to build an incredible business and lead an incredible life it's a 10/10 **

Northwestern Mutual2019-10-16
  1. "Great Experience"

Former Intern - Financial Analyst Intern

I worked at Northwestern Mutual for less than a year

Pros

- Had the opportunity to be involved with a lot for the financial advisor

Cons

- Had moments where it could be boring when fin advisor didn't have lot's of work

Northwestern Mutual2019-10-10
  2. "Do it to learn"

Former Intern - Internship in Lincoln, NE

I worked at Northwestern Mutual for more than a year

Pros

You'll get your life, health, annuities license, learn how to sell, and might fall into a career. If it's not for you, you learned a ton to go someplace else.

Cons

Classic referral strategy to generate leads can be exhausting after getting a ton of "no"s.

Advice to Management

Daily meetings and goal planning help.

Northwestern Mutual2019-11-18

Discover more reviews about Northwestern Mutual.