Northwestern Mutual - Amazing Opportunity | Glassdoor

"Amazing Opportunity"

Current Contractor - Financial Advisor in Portland, OR
Current Contractor - Financial Advisor in Portland, OR

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

NWM's training is well beyond average. This company goes above and beyond to train their advisors how to not only sell, but build a strong, successful practice that can catar to their client's needs. The amount of life skills that I have picked up during my time at NWM are too many to name. Having the ability to control my own schedule has a value greater than money, and knowing that I control my own destiny gives me the security that I need to care for my family and the people in my community. The culture is amazing, and the amount of community service that individual advisors do, speak greatly to the character of the advisors at NWM.

Cons

You have to actually work. People complain that this is a commission based career. Those are the people who are not willing to take the risk and put themselves out there. If you are doing the right things for your clients, the income will follow. Too many advisors in this industry get paid for putting together plans for their clients that are never actually executed. What is the point of building a financial plan, if you can't even get your client to move forward and do something to take a step forward in their financial lives. So yes, this is a commission based career, and yes that can cause some stress, but it is well worth it, and if you are doing the right things, it will pay off in the future. It has for me, and it has for many others at NWM who are willing to put in the extra work.

Other Employee Reviews for Northwestern Mutual

1. "Amazing company"

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Client focused. Inviting culture. Autonomy.

Cons

Staff development opportunities in leadership capacities are limited.

Advice to Management

Allow an environment for constructuve feedback to be welcomed and encouraged and spend less time avoiding conlfict and address the issues directly. The issues are often much easier to resolve if addressed early on and most are a matter of misunderstandings and varied expectations that can be relatively easy to resolve. Encourage direct conversations rather than enabling triangular conversations. You have highly competent adults that are quite capable of solving their own intepersonal matters but may just need guidance on how to approach a situation.

2. "Financial Representative Intern"

Former Employee - Financial Representative in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Financial Representative in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Northwestern Mutual full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Freedom with work schedule. An excellent opportunity to test drive the Financial Representative career. The internship as a whole is ranked in the top 10 internships nationwide. Real world experience. I highly recommend this opportunity.

Cons

Salary is purely commission based. There were no benefit packages available as a Financial Representative. As an intern, it was tough communicating the importance of insurance to elder individuals.