Northwestern Mutual - Northwestern Mutual is a great company with great people. The financial opportunities are limitless. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Northwestern Mutual

"Northwestern Mutual is a great company with great people. The financial opportunities are limitless."

Current Employee - Financial Representative in Frisco, TX
Current Employee - Financial Representative in Frisco, TX

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people and opportunity. You are your own boss

Cons

You have to be the right person for the position. It is definitely difficult to separate work from personal.

Other Employee Reviews for Northwestern Mutual

"Good Experience, they make you feel like it's a million dollar, once in a lifetime opportunity that is unrivaled."

Current Intern - College Financial Representative in Greenwood Village, CO
    Current Intern - College Financial Representative in Greenwood Village, CO

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Opportunity to work with very high level professionals in the financial planning sector
    Learn valuable sales skills and people skills
    Experience of a "white collar" career
    Challenging going through the process of beginning

Cons

Management pushes the internship or full-time experience and over-hypes the training, experience, etc.
    Some people in this industry (as in any industry) are shady and desperate for their own survival
    Uncomfortable going through the process of beginning

Advice to Management

Follow through with what you say you're going to do (most higher level reps and managers do a very good job at this so it's surprising when someone doesn't)
    Continue to treat younger reps and interns with attention and respect to nourish them through the beginning stages, not everyone thrives in the dog-eat-dog environment

"Amazing Opportunity"

Current Contractor - Financial Advisor in Portland, OR
    Current Contractor - Financial Advisor in Portland, OR

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

NWM's training is well beyond average. This company goes above and beyond to train their advisors how to not only sell, but build a strong, successful practice that can catar to their client's needs. The amount of life skills that I have picked up during my time at NWM are too many to name. Having the ability to control my own schedule has a value greater than money, and knowing that I control my own destiny gives me the security that I need to care for my family and the people in my community. The culture is amazing, and the amount of community service that individual advisors do, speak greatly to the character of the advisors at NWM.

Cons

You have to actually work. People complain that this is a commission based career. Those are the people who are not willing to take the risk and put themselves out there. If you are doing the right things for your clients, the income will follow. Too many advisors in this industry get paid for putting together plans for their clients that are never actually executed. What is the point of building a financial plan, if you can't even get your client to move forward and do something to take a step forward in their financial lives. So yes, this is a commission based career, and yes that can cause some stress, but it is well worth it, and if you are doing the right things, it will pay off in the future. It has for me, and it has for many others at NWM who are willing to put in the extra work.