Northwestern Mutual - I was an intern financial representative. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Northwestern Mutual

"I was an intern financial representative."

Former Intern - Intern Financial Representative
Former Intern - Intern Financial Representative

I worked at Northwestern Mutual as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

It challenged me and sharpened a lot of my skills. The ability to "be my own boss" at a young age was a very unique experience. I enjoyed the fact that I dictated my own outcome.

Cons

The job is completely sales when you get down to it. That aspect should not be ignored. You are expected to produce from the get go, with not much leeway.

Other Employee Reviews for Northwestern Mutual

1. "Doing right things right"

Current Employee - Training Consultant in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Training Consultant in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Northwestern Mutual is the best company in the city to work for. They are a great member of the community and support the employees community involvement through time and financial contributions. They are a large organization with tons of opportunity; you can completely change your career without leaving the company! We have a young CEO who's looking to make a great culture even better. The new motto, "Let's be a force for good" speaks to every role within the organization, always keeping the best interest of our policy owners at the forefront of every decision we make.

Cons

Being a large organization there tends to be some beaurocracy in place but campaigns are underway to correct that. Work/life balance is mostly good but some areas of the organization don't offer as much flexibilty for work at home or flexible hours. For long time employees benefits are more costly and confusing than in years past but still a very good benefits package.

Advice to Management

Allow employees to embrace, implement "new era behaviors". Mistakes can be learning opportunities. Invest in a learning management system for a better training experience/opportunity.

"Soliciting your natural market to get them to purchase life insurance"

Former Employee - Financial Representative in Bozeman, MT
    Former Employee - Financial Representative in Bozeman, MT

I worked at Northwestern Mutual full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Unlimited income potential and overall good company.

Cons

It is not your "business" to run. There are constant phone meeting that take up enormous chunks of your time. Upper management was just interested in me getting more and more lives.

Advice to Management

Please treat people with respect and don't be so obvious in using individuals to just capture someone's natural market.