Northwestern University - rewarding experience and high growth potential | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Northwestern University

"rewarding experience and high growth potential"

Former Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Evanston, IL
Former Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Evanston, IL

I worked at Northwestern University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great education, lots of opportunities to grow. As a PhD student, I have worked in multiple labs, interned in different industries, and even got a management certificate from the Kellogg School of Business, for free.

Strong brand. Northwestern is not only well recognized in the Midwest but also on both coasts (a little surprising to me). My roommate and I got jobs in the silicon valley and some classmates got jobs in NY, PA etc. Due to NU's reputation in the business world, some of my friends with PhD in engineering were offered jobs from MCK, BCG, and Bain.

Lots of fun! Evanston is a great suburb, only 30hr driving from downtown Chicago. Countless concerts in the summer. Always have trouble in deciding which one to go to. I am a big fan of NBA and it was great experience to witness the revival of the Bulls.

Cons

Winter is a pain in the "windy city"

Other Employee Reviews for Northwestern University

1. "Good place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Evanston, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Evanston, IL

I have been working at Northwestern University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good reputation, nice campus, close to Chicago. Decent medical and retirement benefits. Stimulating work environment with possibilities for collaboration across groups and departments. Plenty of opportunities to attend classes and take advantage of the tuition reimbursement program.

Cons

Compensation is not very good. Advancement opportunities within the university can be very limited. Parking can be a real problem in some areas. There is quite a bit of bureaucracy but this is probably common for most universities.

"Nice place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Northwestern University full-time

Pros

People are overall very content and seemed to be pleased to be there.

Cons

Nothing ever gets done... Far too much red tape and pointless discussions.... Way behind corporate America... But I guess that could be seen as a positive thing...

Advice to Management

Pointless to offer...