Northwestern University - Pretends to be a great place to work; I know a lot about it as I've been working there for 10 years. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Northwestern University

"Pretends to be a great place to work; I know a lot about it as I've been working there for 10 years."

Current Employee - Business Administrator in Evanston, IL
Current Employee - Business Administrator in Evanston, IL

I have been working at Northwestern University full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

If you work long enough and your children get excepted to NU, you can benefit from the tuition reduction that is generally ridiculously high.

It's hard to be fired if you do nothing but say "Hi" and "Bye" to superiors, work 9 to 5, never have any ideas and never contradict those who are in charge.
Very political, and politically correct, very bureaucratic, very unfair unless you meet certain "requirements" for staying.

Good benefits comparing to other places.

Cons

If you have talents, abilities to create things, if you really care about the students (who very often are prima donna style students), if you have your principles, run away from that place.

Salaries suck comparing to other Universities. If you are a staff member, you'll be seriously underpaid. Everyone, no matter who you are, how many years you dedicated to the University is replaceable.

The best NU internal joke: "It's like a beautiful girl. Looks good, treats you like sh..."

Many top managers don't have enough education to even get the positions of Deans, Associate Deans, Master Degree program directors and if you are more educated than them--guess what? You are fired or they create such an environment for you that you leave.

Many professors don't have Master's degree, some of them did not have even Bachelor's degree in the field. Is not that a shame for the University that pretends being part of IVY League? Students complain about those instructors but if they meet University "spirit", they will never publish those complaints.

I can go on and on but will add just one thing---some of their best alums will never give University any money--I know that for a fact. The University never became a dear place for them.

Advice to Management

Money can't buy everything. You need to value people who work and study there.

Other Employee Reviews for Northwestern University

"It was ok"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Northwestern University part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of autonomy. Worked alone

Cons

Too much autonomy. Worked alone.

Advice to Management

Care more

2. "Northwestern"

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Evanston, IL
    Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Evanston, IL

I have been working at Northwestern University full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

prestigious
    organized
    pay is good
    feel good environemnt

Cons

not that much
    benefits could have been more
    work pressure is so-so