Novatel Wireless - My experience at Novatel Wireless started as a wonderful opportunity that led to positive and life-changing events | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Novatel Wireless

"My experience at Novatel Wireless started as a wonderful opportunity that led to positive and life-changing events"

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in San Diego, CA
Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Novatel Wireless full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Novatel Wireless is a large company with several hundred people, most of us in San Diego, CA. We have very talented individuals working in our engineering and test teams. Our customers are very satisfied with our deep commitment and persevering attention to detail as we have launched - and continue to launch - cutting edge wireless data (mobile broadband) products.

Cons

Novatel Wireless is a publicly traded company. We are 'NVTL' on the NASDAQ. Quarterly earnings is detrimental to our R&D and planning because Wall Street always wants to know that we are going to be reaching new highs next quarter.

Advice to Management

Novatel Wireless is a high-tech team with some great players who have launched killer products, including MiFi. The team can be made even stronger with better leadership and communication. After improving internal communications, allocate more time to strategic marketing and more budget to competitive intelligence / market research. Wireless is a fast changing space and it takes extra effort to stay on top of the latest events and happenings.

Other Employee Reviews for Novatel Wireless

"Great atmosphere to work with bright people and a place you can call it your home."

Former Employee - Project Manager in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in San Diego, CA

Pros

Fast paced work life with challenging projects available every year.
    Coworkers are your friends.
    Activities for everyone to participate for fun.
    Learning new technology in wireless industry.
    Great place to start your career.

Cons

Layoffs each year without any notice.
    Future isn't always bright or visible.
    Do not have any product plans beyond 2 years.
    Not much advancement opportunities.

Advice to Management

Encourage and create a program for employees to add renovations.
    Use Agile development method to create team oriented project development.

2. "It's a great entry level organization, but doesn't seem to have any internal promotion process."

Current Employee - Software Engineer I in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer I in San Diego, CA

Pros

There is a great balance of Work and Home Life here. My direct manager is fantastic and the team I'm on is also a great joy to work with. This makes morale very high which encourages positive work ethic and makes you want to come to work.

Cons

There is a lack of innovation at the company which is directly tied to the lack of incentives for such a thing. The Novatel stock is very volatile and makes for a poor investment which leads to even less incentive to innovate. This coupled with a poor promotion system is leading to lots of top talent vacating in search of better opportunities.

Advice to Management

There needs to be more incentive for innovation. An improved promotion system would help with this and would also help keep some of your best talent at Novatel. Expanding into new markets and improving our current position in our main market would help boost our stock and strengthen our company. This can be done best if your human resources are encouraged to innovate.