Novell - Great student job | Glassdoor

"Great student job"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Provo, UT
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Provo, UT

Pros

As a student at BYU, Novell has been EXTREMELY flexible with my work schedule. I make my own hours, and when I need time off as long as I let them know in advance I'm able to take off as much as I need. I've gained incredible work experience here as well, being able to work on great projects that often times the Board of Directors see.

Cons

I would be afraid to work here if I were planning on building a long term career starting at Novell. There's not a lot of room to grow.

There's also been uncertainty around Novell's financial stability. Recent rumors of a possible by out (although denied by the CEO) are one example of the uncertainty the company faces. Novell's been around for a while, yes, but its continued long term viability remains to be seen.

Advice to Management

Focus on long-term and not short term results. For example, the company recently finished a "100-in-100" campaign, with the goal being to invoice $100 million in revenue in 100 days. If management really wants to build long-term shareholder wealth, they'd focus on longer-term initiatives and not promote the bad habits that evolve from these short-term initiatives.

Other Employee Reviews for Novell

1. "Solid place to work"

Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Provo, UT
    Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Provo, UT

Pros

I enjoyed the atmosphere at Novell as much as anything else. There was always a lot of work to be done, but the expectation was not that anybody had to work 24/7. The people at Novell seemed to care about each other, as people.

Cons

The company's long-term health is somewhat in question. If the Linux strategy doesn't work, they'll have gutted long-term profitable products to meet expense targets and be left with a product that ultimately doesn't produce revenue.

Advice to Management

Trim away products that make no / little money. The company is spread too thin, and the near-constant layoffs are very much a morale drain. Invest in what makes money and require all divisions of the company to do that.

2. "Work"

Pros

Novell has a really good atmosphere and does have some of the best benefits that are available. They are also open about time off and coming in to work at a decent time.

Cons

Novell does not have a very good way of promoting their products, thus customers move on to competitors all the time. The company it's self is constantly shrinking its head count, making everyone nervous that their job is next to get cut.

Advice to Management

I enjoy the atmosphere but I would like to know that I have a future in the company. I would also ask management to not micromanage the employees.