Novell - Much better than people think | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Novell

"Much better than people think"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Provo, UT
Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Provo, UT

Pros

Great facilities
Pretty good compensation
Great flexibility
Good people
Great technology
Great environment
Great potential
Good health care / vision / dental

Cons

Recent loss of 401K matching funds
Recent loss of education reimbursement
Loss of meaningful Stock Purchase program
Difficult to use software
Company is in a slow decline - has been for 20 years
CTO-du-jour
Novell - nod
Inability to sell great technology
Significant lack of Product Management

Advice to Management

INNOVATE
SELL
Plan many years out; Don't plan for the quarter
Senior Managers: stop working just to line your pockets with OUR money

Other Employee Reviews for Novell

1. "Sad to See a Former Great Company Go Down the Tubes"

Former Employee - Application Engineer in Provo, UT
    Former Employee - Application Engineer in Provo, UT

Pros

Good pay, decent benefits, nice co-workers, excellent facilities, bonuses

Cons

The company has a reputation of doing layoffs each year. They are in a downward death spiral that may not bottom out. Working there is pleasant, but you must constantly wonder if you will have a job the next week.

Advice to Management

Stop changing directions every few months. Focus on selling stuff. Stop trying to be "the big player". Novell is no longer a powerhouse.

2. "Wonderful Experience - Provides Exceptional Training and Preparation for Future Career"

Current Employee - Student Intern - Hourly in Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Student Intern - Hourly in Provo, UT

Pros

1. Training and Exposure: The department that I work in has taken extreme measures to provide me with exposure to many of Novell's business issues. As a business/accounting major, I have found that working at Novell has provided me with a significant amount of relevant experience. Many of my post-graduate-employer interviews have had my experience at Novell as a main discussion point, and often earned me the offer. My managers provide plenty of training and mentoring, while still permitting a loose enough leash to let me venture independently.

2. Public Company in Provo: In the Provo area, it is difficult to find an employer that is large enough to expose you to hot topics and big business issues. Novell provides exactly that. With almost a $1 billion in revenue, Novell has operations all over the world. That background provides valuable perspective.

3. Fair Compensation: For the area, the pay is really great.

4. Awesome Work Environment: The campus Novell is on is really beautiful and very clean. The buildings are well maintained and they offer many great benefits: Free gym membership, decent food/cafeteria, and many other on-site services.

5. Flexibility: My managers have been extremely flexible with my work schedule. I usually just tell them when and they approve it. It is designed more around project needs than an hourly commitment. They also let me take off for 10 weeks to do an internship elsewhere! (with a Big Four Accounting Firm) So they are very flexible and want students to gain a lot of experience for their future careers.

Cons

1. Minimum 20 Hours per Week: I only put this here since I can't think of anything else. I work a lot more than that - although my schedule is very flexible. I'm not sure if this applies to other interns in other departments either.

2. No benefits for interns (medical): Not to be expected, but something to be aware of. (We still get paid holidays though!)

3. If you are a college student, Novell is in the southern most part of Provo. So you will need a car or bus pass. Hardly a "Con", but again - something to be aware of.

Advice to Management

The grounds are extremely nice. Almost too nice. I just hope that we aren't spending so much money on the campus that we are taking away growth/job opportunities.

Focus less on cost cutting and more on revenue growth. Cost-cutting (which is extremely important) only goes so far. It is great to be profitable again, but I would love to see our revenue taking off. I loved the 100 in 100 campaign. Hopefully it is the first of many good ideas.