NuVasive - Buy Completely into the Company Culture ---OR ELSE! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for NuVasive

"Buy Completely into the Company Culture ---OR ELSE!"

Pros

Better than average salary (but severely negated by hours of expected work)
Nice Facilities and benefits

Cons

At first blush this is an excellent place to work. Great salary and benefits and some nice co-workers . After your first day this facade starts to fall away. First, there is a statue of a Cheetah in the lobby and many flat screen televisions showing the same thing: A Cheetah running at full speed with flames morphing out of its backside. The company creed is "Absolute Responsiveness" and you quickly come to understand that this means ZERO personal life for you. You will be given a blackberry and told you must be "Easy to do biz with." Essentially translating: sleep with your blackberry and answer *any* request/email within 15 minutes..and they *will* come in 24/7. People don't chat in the break rooms, they grab their coffee, mutter a pleasantry and literally speedwalk back to their desks. There is a disturbing current of unmistakable churce silence mixed with a little anxiety in the air. After all, perhaps you aren't working fast enough or hard enough? (---even though you know you are).

Most people work 10-11 hour days at the office and then keep on going when they get home. This isn't because they necessarily want to, the fear of not being part of the corporate group-think culture demands it. One person told me that "if you aren't drinking and on anti-depressants, you soon will be.." and I must agree with the assessment. When you interview, you will see many people with dark circles and bags under their eyes. Take note, this means something. Bottom line: If you thrive in a culture-heavy "Orwellian 1984 group -think" environment, this is the place for you! Free thinkers and those who desire a healthy work/life balance - *Should not apply. Period*

Advice to Management

Be exceptionally clear to potential employees what your weekly work time expectations are. Do not expect employees to complete all of your training modules and mandatory training exercises on their own time when they are first and foremost trying to learn their job. Offering a gym on-site is nice, but what is the point if you feel compelled to work through every lunch at your desk and well into the evening?

Other Employee Reviews for NuVasive

1. "Great, but always room for improvement"

I have been working at NuVasive full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people work here! We are encouraged to share our ideas, share our failures and learn from them, etc. As an engineer your head isn't in the computer all day and at times are required to be a project manager, marketer, innovator. Great teamwork across cross-functional groups. Constantly changing business - a con for some but I think it keeps it exciting. We get to work directly with surgeons and see the fruits of our labor in the field. Great place to learn. Great overall culture.

Cons

We're expected to work startup hours and do exceptional work on "average" pay, they're slowly taking away perks (cutting costs) - yes, we're noticing it.

Advice to Management

More women in leadership, more incentive programs since salary is average, don't have enough exposure to senior management

NuVasive Response

Aug 17, 2017 – NuVasive

Thank you for sharing your experience. We would love to discuss your feedback in person if you'd like to continue the conversation. Feel free to email us at people@nuvasive.com!

"Development Engineer"

Current Employee - Development Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Development Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at NuVasive full-time

Pros

Fast growing company, full benefits, motivated and hard working team of employees, large company but still feels small, a lot of training and growth opportunities, and great coworkers.

Cons

High deducible on the health insurance, but they have Health Savings accounts to help.

NuVasive Response

Aug 9, 2017 – NuVasive

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We appreciate everything you do for NUVA!