Nuance - Great company, committed to customers. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Nuance

"Great company, committed to customers."

Current Employee - Project Manager in Burlington, MA
Current Employee - Project Manager in Burlington, MA

I have been working at Nuance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Many of our solutions focus on improving patient care. What we do makes a difference in the real world. We work with amazing talent who create tools that are simply amazing. The benefits are generous and are consistently improved year after year. Raises and bonuses are merit based and fairly distributed.

Cons

Decision making can be slow and the politics heavy. Much of the internal processes could be streamlined. Some tools are enforced without providing any actual benefit and more cutting edge tools are ignored.

Advice to Management

Work towards a culture where all voices can be heard.

Other Employee Reviews for Nuance

"Some great people in the firm and some cool products but..."

Former Employee - Manager in Burlington, MA
    Former Employee - Manager in Burlington, MA

I worked at Nuance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

At the mid level and even at the layer below the exec level there are some really great folks. Hard working, friendly and approachable. They have several products that are very cool and very cutting edge -- so working there from a technology standpoint may be different than working there as a non-tech person. There is a small, clean gym on site and a pretty good cafeteria.

Cons

Historically there has been a lot of turnover either voluntary or involuntary in many of the departments. If you are interviewing with them ask what their attrition rate is for their group. Also be wary of the CEO. He has a reputation of ruling by humiliation and of being very difficult to deal with. The rest of the exec team seems fine.

"Everyone is overworked and management is inept"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Burlington, MA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Burlington, MA

I worked at Nuance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

cafeteria has good food, and like all places there are some really nice people there.

Cons

Management has no idea how to lead people, how to give them the tools they need to succeed, or even how to properly prioritize. Turnover is enormously high both because good people leave and because good people are booted when they don't conform to the politics.

The company culture starts out by distrusting their employees and makes them prove their worth by overworking them. Management values hours worked not productivity, so a great employee who has a family and can't work massive overtime will get the shaft. I can't under emphasize the distrust part. My boss required I cc her on every email I wrote and required her approval for all emails sent to people above me in the hierarchy. Often when I sent her those emails she completely rewrote them and called them 'edits'.

Advice to Management

Acquisitions don't work in the long run if you don't know how to leverage the acquired company. Instead you have a portfolio of products that is confusing at best. You are continuing to grow through buying companies at a rate the company can't manage.

Focus on your culture. It stinks.