OHSU - OHSU is a good place to work, if you are extremely dedicated. | Glassdoor

Find your next job here

There are newer employer reviews for OHSU

"OHSU is a good place to work, if you are extremely dedicated."

Current Employee - Research Assistant II in Portland, OR
Current Employee - Research Assistant II in Portland, OR

Pros

OHSU is on a hill west of Portland. It has beautiful views of the city, especially at night and the tram is a very nice way to get up and down the hill. Buses run late into the night which makes it easy to come up if you don't have a car. You also get an awesome discount on a trimet pass. The benefits are a major reason to consider OHSU. This being my first real job I was impressed by what they were offering me. OHSU is also a great learning environment and has a team atmosphere where you can ask all the questions you want and receive help. There are plenty of opportunities to advance in OHSU, either within your area or in another part of the hospital. They have every kind of program and research topic you can think of.

Cons

Be prepared to work hard, depending on your role at the University or hospital, you will be working more than 50 hours a week - regularly. Some days you will work 6 hours and others you will work 12. Science does not have a 9-5 schedule. It also takes a long time to commute. Buses run often but it takes me 10 minutes in a car and at least an hour on 2 different buses. Compensation is not the best but again this being my first job I did not expect much. If you are in the research field as I am job security could be a concern, especially in this economy.

Advice to Management

Be more understanding about life-work balance

Other Employee Reviews for OHSU

"Great bennies may make up for lack of organization and leadership."

Former Employee - Research Associate in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Research Associate in Portland, OR

Pros

Colleagues are generally friendly. The pay is much better than the VA Hospital next door, and the benefits are great. They offer 11% contribution to your 401k, without you having to put anything towards it yourself.

Cons

The department I worked for lacked in its ability to identify problems. The physicians were very busy, very good at what they did, but seemed to not leave time to really handle organizational and non-physician staff problems.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the organization and personnel issues within your team. Be a leader, deal directly with your team members and be decisive and clear about heirarchy and authority.

"Decent lower tier research institute"

Former Employee - Research Assistant II in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Research Assistant II in Portland, OR

Pros

Researchers labs seem to have a very laid back attitude which makes for a very comfortable work environment but does not produce optimal productivity. Communication within departments is good but institution level interactions are rare. Commuting options are excellent, even providing monetary incentives ride your bike to work (how Portland!). Nice view.

Cons

Cumbersome institutional administration, little social interaction within my department. Good research fills a niche but is not cutting edge or exciting as that going on elsewhere. Focus is definitely more on the hospital side of the operation (ie the moneymaker) rather than research side. Came to feel more like a 9 to 5 commitment than an engaging pursuit.

Advice to Management

Keep the tram free