OHSU - Great mission, great people | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for OHSU

"Great mission, great people"

Current Employee - Senior Director in Portland, OR
Current Employee - Senior Director in Portland, OR

I have been working at OHSU full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

OHSU has a fantastic mission and contributes directly to the overall health and well being of others. The people are fantastic and passionate about their work. I feel that I can do great work here.

Cons

Culturally OHSU has a hard time enforcing standards and best practices. Sometimes this is needed in order to make improvements and move to the next level of maturity. Our entrepreneurial culture can be at odds with this goal and results in some maverick process and behavior that isn't addressed.

Advice to Management

Stand together as a leadership team and trust each other. There seems to be a lot of political infighting that can undermine progress.

Other Employee Reviews for OHSU

"Can't wait to get out of there"

I have been working at OHSU full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most of the people are great, it really depends on the department.

Cons

Parking. There's a seven-year-long wait to get a parking spot that costs upwards of $100/mo, and may not even be near the building you work in. Most people have to take the bus or tram up to the hill, although they subsidize the passes. Most of my dissatisfaction stems from my department. At this time I cannot be more explicit.

"Limited opportunities/"

Former Employee - Administrative Support in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Administrative Support in Portland, OR

I worked at OHSU full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great retirement/health benefits/tends to be easygoing in terms of expectations.

Cons

- Limited career opportunities for non-faculty unless you like service/admin roles.
    - Leadership concentrated in faculty who have no management training (not a lot of understanding of contemporary management practices).
    - Top-down, command and control management style prevails (great for the military)
    - Little effort at retaining staff/lots of effort at ensuring faculty is happy and their careers are developed.

Advice to Management

Need new blood at the top with leaders who have experience at large successful institutions beyond Oregon. Faculty performance should be measured by more than publications/grants generated.