Oak Harbor Freight Lines - Oak harbor's quality and employee treatment deteriorates with ongoing contract negotiations. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Oak Harbor Freight Lines

"Oak harbor's quality and employee treatment deteriorates with ongoing contract negotiations."

Current Employee - Driver in Auburn, WA
Current Employee - Driver in Auburn, WA

Pros

None anymore. Morall is down and employer treats employee as inferior

Cons

Management has no communication ability and no long term goals including employees health and wealfare

Advice to Management

Remember the people who pay your bills, dont treat us like kids and sell us a broken bike.

Other Employee Reviews for Oak Harbor Freight Lines

1. "Line haul Portland OR"

I have been working at Oak Harbor Freight Lines full-time

Pros

Excellent 401k, company will match up to 10%, paid benefits for employees and family, we have some old trailers but very well maintained, excellent tractors for line drivers, all of them automatic, very honest company, we get paid for hooks, drops, pre, post trips, rest breaks, we enjoy four days off for thanksgiving and Christmas, I don't remember if also New Years. The respect their drivers and if you do your job good they will leave alone and will make you feel appreciated. Their first core value is: Family comes first, and they will make an effort so we don't have to work on weekends. As a line driver we work some Sundays night. At least in Oregon we don't have drive cams in our tractors and we have a really good group of drivers always ready to help.

Cons

Of course no company is perfect and the most frustrating for the drivers is being forced to drive at 60 mph, we want to run as many miles as we can but if we have a long run we feel stressed because if we deal with traffic or road construction many times we ended up running out of driving time and sometimes we have to wait long for rescue. As a line haul drivers we work at night and we find on the road impaired and drowsy drivers, seniors and inexperienced drivers, drivers on the phone texting, reading and so on. How frustrating and dangerous is not being able to pass quickly and safely those drivers! Some of them drive slow for a few miles then faster and many times we're forced just to drive behind them and at the same time being worry about running out of driving time.

Advice to Management

As drivers we think that driving at 60 mph was ok 20 years ago, we used to have paper logs ;)
    But now? We have e logs and traffic has more than doubled in the Portland and Seattle areas, we now have constant traffic at night and driving at that speed causes lately more and more road rage. Many times it takes many minutes just to pass another driver and traffic behind us get very impatient. For many years we have tried to explain in our drivers meetings that, but we have been just ignored. In Portland we're having hard time hiring new qualified line drivers but we know of many who had gone to other TLT carriers with comparable benefits because if they have experience they know how frustrating is to drive at that speed and they have gone to companies with more reasonable speeds and a little better pay.

"Decent place to work"

I worked at Oak Harbor Freight Lines full-time

Pros

There are a lot of great people in the company, all working towards providing the greatest experience possible for the customer.

Cons

Management has some more traditional tendencies that tend to hinder growth. Especially when it comes to technology.