Oakley - Awesome | Glassdoor

"Awesome"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL
Current Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Oakley part-time (More than a year)

Pros

great people
product knowledge is tough at first but cool to know once you get the hang of it
laidback environment

Cons

a lot of information at first

Other Employee Reviews for Oakley

"Sold a bill of goods"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Louisville, KY

I worked at Oakley full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay and benefits are well above average for retail.
    A work life balance is offered that is not typically found in retail
    50 discount on apparel, footwear, and accessories.
    70% discount on eyewear
    Free clothes every quarter

Cons

I was completely comfortable working where I was at. I was appreciated and was working my way towards a career path. Oakley approached me and said they wanted me to run their new store in Louisville, KY. I never applied for the position until they requested that I do so. I was never involved in the hiring process and my position was the last to be filled.

From the 1st day of employment I had an assistant that is what I term a "spotlight Ranger." He would go out of his way to be in the limelight. He was very self-aggrandizing and my district manager and trainers lauded over him. I felt something was up with him from day 1. My gut instinct told me he was very dishonest and probably not anything close to what he was making himself out to be.

It didn't take long for my "rockstar" assistant to begin throwing me under the bus to my district manager. He would disregard my orders to complete tasks and then he would take photos of the store and send them to my district manager. I received weekly scoldings from her for my lack of leadership and competence. The whole time I knew in the back of my mind that my assistant was up to something. Within the first month of employment I caught him ringing out his own purchase, and then doing his own return. I immediately brought this up to my district manager who questioned him and then brushed my concerns aside.

I did the best I could to run the store while a key member of my management team worked diligently against me instead of with me. He continously failed to complete tasks and ignored directives from me all the while being completely closed to any coaching. After nearly two months of employment and the store being open I had nagging suspicions that he was committing theft from the store. I kept my suspicions to myself as I had an non-supportive and absentee district manager.

My "rockstar" started to miss work and my attempts to document him were dismissed by HR as being retaliatory. "Rockstar" ended up taking a leave of absence after stating he wanted to hurt himself at work. He showed back up to work after two weeks of peaceful bliss in the store with medical release papers I assumed he had signed himself. After being back only a week my other assistant and sales lead approached me with their own suspicions that "Rockstar" was stealing. Now with my management team fully aware of "Rockstar's" antics we began our own investigation together and found that in only two weeks since his return he had done over $2700 in false refunds. "Rockstar" also failed to miss work one day claiming to be a victim of a home invasion and also claimed his paycheck was stolen.

After some hem and hawing with HR and LP we finally moved forward with terminating "Rockstar." He was still employed for another month while myself and my staff, and LP were fully aware of the theft he was committing every shift he worked. Remember that stolen paycheck? He falsely reported that stolen and cashed it at a downtown gas station hoping to get a second paycheck reissued.

With "Rockstar" finally out of the way I did the best I could to get the store back up and running in time for the holiday season. I had a DM that was completely absent. I was an experienced store manager, but brand new to the company and had a staff that was completely brand new as well and my DM never visited the store except for the first week of setting up the store.

We were all hired knowing the store would be remodeled for two weeks. We were shocked to find out that the store would be closed for five months for a remodel instead. No option for relocation during the remodel was given. I was terminated for what I assume to be failure to protect company assets. At closing we found a large amount of product to be missing as well. If someone was stealing cash from the register I would assume that they would be stealing product as well. Even though I raised my hand and showed that there was theft in the store, did all of the work for LP, I was terminated for failing to protect assets.

Eight months later my old store is remodeled and looks great. The staff there is unmotivated for sure though. The store still fails to hit sales goals. Still fails to hit conversion rates. The staff receives no staff dress, TBI, or promotions because the store is on intensive care for the inventory shortages caused by "Rockstar." I've already been disciplined with termination. Why continue to discipline the staff that had nothing to do with the inventory shortages? People are being disciplined that weren't even employed by the company when the store was opened.

Eights months later and I am still looking for viable employment. In 2009 I was unemployed for a year after being mobilized with the Army Reserves. In 2010 I fought and clawed my way up from an $8 an hour retail employee to a store manager. I was promoted three times by my previous company before Oakley sold me on their rainbows and unicorns. Now I am right back to where I was five years ago. Thanks Oakley!

"Working to figure out what Luxottica wants..."

I have been working at Oakley full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Oakley makes great lenses. Their sunglass styles are simply losing appeal. But great lenses

Cons

This company has a management team that works each day figuring out what Luxottica wants. They've lost their edge and instead of behaving as a disruptive company, they are forcing a tag that is the complete antithesis of their designs. FLAT. And ugly.

Advice to Management

Get back to your roots. Never would Oakley need to tell folks what they were, they simply behaved and presented products that were disruptive.