Oblong Industries - Great company to work for, except for the CEO | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Oblong Industries

"Great company to work for, except for the CEO"

Former Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA
Former Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Oblong Industries full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Oblong really cares about its employees - initially they served lunch 3 days a week, provided health insurance and paid into an HSA to counter the high deductible. Everyone was great...except the CEO who should not have been in that position.

Cons

The CEO rules with an iron fist, and is passive aggressive at the same time. He is not responsive to suggestions or negotiation when he disagrees, and marginalizes employees that he disagrees with.
He is not open to listening or allowing others to manage in a productive way. This aspect of the company is the one thing that has driven it into the ground.

Advice to Management

Let your employees do what they were hired to do in a democratic way. Ruling by marginalizing extremely talented people is destructive and destroys morale and performance.

Oblong Industries Response

Sep 11, 2014 – COO

The company had a change of executive leadership (CEO spot) at the end of 2013. John Underkoffler is now the company's CEO.

Other Employee Reviews for Oblong Industries

"Long Timer"

I have been working at Oblong Industries full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I've been at Oblong for many years now as a g-speak engineer and have watched people come and go, and I have watched the company as it has gone through its highs and lows. It saddens me to see so many negative reviews. Throughout my entire tenure at Oblong, I have only witnessed the leadership of the company do everything in their power to provide the best possible working environment for the employees and build a successful company.

There are many negative reviews about the sales organization and I think this may simply be due to lack of insight into that organization. Without insight into the strategy and day-to-day workings of the sales organization, it's likely easy to misconstrue the charismatic CRO. It is my opinion, however, that he, along with the other members of the leadership team are responsible for the successes we've had.

Oblong is a stand-up organization that hires the best talent and strives for nothing short of perfection. I am proud to have called it home for close to a decade.

Cons

cross-team communication and communication in general has improved over the years but continues to be one of our greatest weaknesses.

Advice to Management

I believe that better cross-team communication, especially providing developers with insight into the overall sales and operations strategy and daily activities, would help gain trust and respect and generally boost morale.

"Innovative but proceed with caution"

I worked at Oblong Industries full-time

Pros

Flexible work environment
    Great benefits with unlimited PTO
    Talented colleagues
    No micro managing

Cons

Was one of the people blindsided and laid off after leaving a great and secure job only a few months before. They could benefit with some better processes, everything seemed to be chaotic and I felt like there were so many small and easy changes that entire teams could benefit from, but didn't quite have a voice at the table yet to make them. The culture was expressed to be something that it wasn't.

Advice to Management

Laying people off with little no to compensation or advance after having them leave a great job is terrible budget management and a poor way to run a business.