Occidental Petroleum - Job was not bad, too much politics | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Occidental Petroleum

"Job was not bad, too much politics"

Former Intern - IT Intern in Dallas, TX

I worked at Occidental Petroleum as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I was only an intern, so I didn't get the full-time experience. They treat the interns very well, paid apartment for the summer, multiple intern events throughout the summer, and good pay for an internship. The work I did was good industry experience.

Cons

It felt like there was too much politics going on. Lots of talking behind other people's backs. Management followed stock prices too closely, and it affected the work environment. I worked hard all summer, including pulling an over-nighter to help catch up on work, and received nothing but positive feedback, until my end of summer review. My boss told me that I had been doing a poor job all summer and it was my fault that the project was behind (even though it was almost a year behind when I started on it as an intern), I believe one of my co-workers went behind my back and threw me under the bus, and I didn't feel like it was fair to blame me for the project's failure. There was a lot of finger pointing and bad talking about people within the company, which was not enjoyable.

Advice to Management

Don't stress the stock price as much, and encourage an open, honest working environment. Cut all the political crap.

Other Employee Reviews for Occidental Petroleum

"Work was alright, work environment was a little stiff"

Former Intern - IT Intern in Dallas, TX

I worked at Occidental Petroleum as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits and pay are great! They definitely know how to take care of their employees in regards to relocation, salary.

Cons

Work environment was stiff. People just came for work and left right when the day ends. Not much culture outside of working.

Advice to Management

Lighten up and be more social with co-workers.

"Good company to gain experience fast"

Current Employee - Reservoir Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Reservoir Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at Occidental Petroleum full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You have the opportunity to execute your ideas without going through a lot of processes and become visible to the higher management faster than you would in the major operating companies.. There are a lot of smart and experienced people around to learn from.

Cons

Business units are understaffed. Work load for reservoir engineers is very heavy. Reserve process is very long and stressful.

Advice to Management

Hire more people