Occidental Petroleum - The political minefield they call Occidental Petroleum, where it's not about what you know, but who and saying yes. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Occidental Petroleum

"The political minefield they call Occidental Petroleum, where it's not about what you know, but who and saying yes."

Current Employee - Professional in Houston, TX
Current Employee - Professional in Houston, TX

I have been working at Occidental Petroleum full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Some good people, decent benefits, flexible work schedule as long as you're working 60 hours per week, there aren't any 980's where I live. They have some good folks but are hemorrhaging them right now to others willing to offer more money, better work life balance and who actually pay for performance.

Cons

Politics rule promotions, it's not what you know, it's who. Despite their assertion people are not their primary resource, with all of the reorganization and becoming a smaller company means less people, therefore they overwork the people that are there, use the performance review system to beat people down, are obsessed with head count and would rather pay 3 times as much using consultants to get rid of a direct employee. I can't see how spending 3x more money for the convenience of being able to get rid of someone without having to fabricate a case in the performance review system is a benefit to the company. Low morale in most people who have been there a while and are honest. There is no pay for performance, and anyone that says there is just happens to be on the sunny side of the field for now or is a sacrificial anode. Oxy pays for blind obedience, inner circles are filled with yes men asking what's in it for them, you are expected to push the ethics envelope, not visibly of course and if you don't you become a liability or at best someone on the way out.

Advice to Management

Do the shareholders know how much money is being wasted on consultants? No. Do you surround yourself with yes men? Yes. Are people really your greatest asset? No. Do you pay for performance? No. You have a number of positional managers, not leaders, but those that rule and sometimes terrorize by position alone. You do not reward leadership or value diversity which includes differing ideas. Ethics are desired but get in the way of the big fish getting what they want, so you stretch the rules a bit to create a double standard that if a regular employee was involved in would get slapped down; enter the yes man, the sacrificial anode, plausible deniability; exit the better employees.

Other Employee Reviews for Occidental Petroleum

"Actually tell my friends not to even apply to come here"

Current Employee - Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at Occidental Petroleum full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

If you get to be an expat ( not very easy) your benefits are great

Cons

- Currently the perception is that management has no clue what to do with the company, they cut a rig, then two months later ask how much money we need to add a rig, constant business plan changes, never-ending pointless re-orgs !

Advice to Management

Tell us what you want to do and we can do it, but define a path for the employees to follow

"I was told that I wasn't needed anymore, so I started looking elsewhere for a job"

Former Employee - GeoTech in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - GeoTech in Houston, TX

I worked at Occidental Petroleum full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-9/80 schedule
    -health benefits seem to be par with industry
    -early career development program (except it seems to be meant only for certain employees, not all early career employees)

Cons

-high turnover-I saw more people come and go rather than come and stay in a similar position to mine
    -below average salary
    -selling off assets (or trying to) will further limit career opportunities
    -disconnect between upper and lower level management

Advice to Management

I had been quite unhappy for awhile, but wasn't looking to leave until the company started selling off assets and I was told I was not needed anymore. Be prepared for more employees leaving because of this.