Ocean Spray - Ocean Spray is in the middle of a business and cultural shift | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Ocean Spray

"Ocean Spray is in the middle of a business and cultural shift"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lakeville, MA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lakeville, MA

I have been working at Ocean Spray full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ocean Spray is in the middle of a business and cultural shift where you've got the new guard against the old guard. Randy Papadellis recently stated (in a rather infamous corporate meeting) that if you are pushing for the greater good of the company, and you run into resistance, then it is your obligation to keep pushing (paraphrased). This statement is a testament to the transitional nature of the company; there is a conservativeness that stems from a deference to the grower at all costs (including sinking the company). Then, there are those of us that understand that we have to think in terms of long term viability for the growers, which means that the corporate side needs to invest in itself and get out from under the day-to-day reprioritization. Ocean Spray competes in a global economy with all snack and beverage consumption occasions (not just cranberry juice or dried fruit consumption occasions); Not everyone gets this, and herein lies the challenge. The requirement, and biggest opportunity for anyone just coming in to the company, is that we must aggressively grow and innovate at all levels, and there are good leaders that understand this.

A rather unique attribute of the personality of this company is that it is brutally honest with itself. It is no secret that the oversupply of cranberries is stressing the entire industry. I've been in two meetings in the past year where there has been refreshing and honest reflection. An outcome of these meetings is a culture of openness where we we have a mandate to push the company in positive directions. As a young employee, this creates not only interesting and exciting challenges, but also a feeling of loyalty and obligation to innovate at all levels of the company in order to drive positive growth.

If you're the type of person that enjoys an opportunity to influence big business decisions at the highest level, no matter your position, then Ocean Spray can provide that opportunity if you have the right personality and expertise. There is a deep trust of its employees to make good decisions that, in the appropriate hands, can be used for the greater good.

This is a battle for the future of the company; within 1-2 years we'll know if the innovators have won. So far we've got the edge.

Cons

Ocean Spray is competitive salary wise, but it is no joke that salaries do not go as far in the Greater Boston area as they might in a suburban mid-west location.

As other reviewers have noted, Ocean Spray is slow to promote, which is frustrating.

HR is out of touch with the needs of the employees and the greater business climate. The way they operate is a big part of what makes this company seem so conservative and old, especially to new employees.

IT is stuck in the 80s. We constantly fight against outdated technology (or no technology).

Advice to Management

Continue to award, in a very public manner, those who innovate and are part of pushing the company to the next level.

Restructure the way you do promotions, where business climate has no influence on whether or not someone gets a promotion. The delays are like a wet blanket and send the wrong message to those that you are depending on, as well as on those around them who wonder what is going on.

You know what you have to do; (continue to) lead with your heart, not fear.

Other Employee Reviews for Ocean Spray

1. "Overall Approve"

Current Employee - Manager in Kenosha, WI
    Current Employee - Manager in Kenosha, WI

I have been working at Ocean Spray full-time

Pros

Good Benefits and work life balance. They are very flexible with employees adapt to each persons situation.

Cons

Very bureaucratic and sometimes hard to get things done due to all the red tape involved. They are open to new ideas, but it takes a long time to get them to come around.

Advice to Management

Develop the bench strength of the company. There are major gaps if key people leave. They look to promote within first, but sometimes that is not the best way as new people have new ideas.

"Ocean Spray"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tomah, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tomah, WI

I have been working at Ocean Spray full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The compensation is good and the vacation benefits are really good. Personal growth in the company seems to be on the rise. I have felt that I would never get the chance to advance with the company until of late. In the last 6 months they have really grown in this area.

Cons

I feel that communication has some room for improvement. I feel like some times things are kept from us until last minute and then everyone is up in arms.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees.