Ocean Tomo - Analysts/entry-level job candidates, stay clear of Ocean Tomo | Glassdoor

Find your next job here

There are newer employer reviews for Ocean Tomo

"Analysts/entry-level job candidates, stay clear of Ocean Tomo"

Former Employee - Analyst in San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Analyst in San Francisco, CA

Pros

High expectations for quality of work product.

Cons

Long hours, poor communication, lack of leadership, negative environment, limited training and team collaboration, endless hours performing "mindless" work (example: searching for specific information from boxes and boxes of documents), limited engagement, very isolated environment.

Advice to Management

The company may advertise family values (listed below), but its senior managers should act more to demonstrate these values on an every-day basis.

"We value quality, integrity and honesty.

Ocean Tomo is a united family - we work together to help each other.

We are responsible to our investors, our management partners and employees, and ourselves. We do not stray from our investment thesis or our values.

Every activity in which we participate should yield a return through goodwill or new direct or indirect opportunities.

We are respectful of the firm's heritage to which we are custodian - every person we meet should be impressed by our professionalism and values.

Criticism must be constructive; family criticism must be private.

Time is our most valued commodity - any potential client we meet or transaction we consider should be of high quality and relevant to our Mission and investment thesis.

Under-promise and over-deliver; aim high but don't overstate.

We work hard in a smart and efficient way remembering the importance of balance in our life.

Our effort is 110% - anticipate your expected contribution and then outperform."

Other Employee Reviews for Ocean Tomo

1. "Great place to start career"

I have been working at Ocean Tomo full-time

Pros

High profile clients, good opportunities to move up, managers who really care about you, smart coworkers, great compensation, nice office spaces

Cons

No 401k match, sometimes clients have unexpected needs (but that dynamic exists in every industry)

Advice to Management

Keep developing junior staff

"Weigh your options before joining Ocean Tomo"

Former Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at Ocean Tomo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The non-executive team is great. Most analysts, Associates, and Directors are smart and conscientious and, most importantly, are generally good people.

Cons

The firm suffers from a deep malaise - hard to detect during the interview process, but palpably evident once you're on the inside. Many (most?) employees are demoralized and seem to be looking for a way to escape. I certainly was! This all flows from the top:

The executive team lacks a coherent vision, and the owners are primarily looking to cash in and head for the hills. While not immoral, they treat most employees as mere economic inputs, rather than human beings with dignity and creativity.

Ocean Tomo asks for more than it gives (in compensation, work/life balance, and respect). As a result, it hemorrages talent, and the IP industry is full of ex-Ocean Tomo employees who are thanking God that they found a way out.

Advice to Management

Spend more time thinking about the people who work for you, and less time on yourselves.