Ocean Tomo - Great place that I very much enjoy | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Ocean Tomo

"Great place that I very much enjoy"

Current Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Ocean Tomo full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good mix of challenging work, interesting new projects, and "typical" assignments. My coworkers are great... all the people here are willing to help and are very friendly. The company promotes teamwork and "everybody getting ahead". Management has both true visionaries and good everyday managers.

Cons

The company offers unlimited time off with pay, which sounds great but it can be hard to get as much time off in large blocks as you want. Taking a few days or a week off a few times a year is easy. But trying to take more than 2 weeks off at once can be challenging. Last year I was only able to take 5 weeks off total, and was not able to take the month-long vacation I had hoped for.

Advice to Management

Don't offer free ice cream on Fridays in the summer so I don't get fat? Just kidding. But except for the vacation issue I think this company does a great job of working with people.

Other Employee Reviews for Ocean Tomo

1. "Very good company"

Current Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL

Pros

Excellent company to learn and grow with. My coworkers are great, probably the best anywhere. I have made many friends here at all levels of the company. We work on both "tried and true" things and cutting-edge ideas. Overall, a great place.

Cons

Most benefits are good (health plan and vacation are great), but the company does not match 401k contributions. I thought everyone did that.

Advice to Management

A week ago I would have said to do something fun for the summer, and then on Friday they announced that we would have a free ice cream cart in the office every Friday this summer. So someone is thinking ahead!

2. "Very good place to work, learn, and make friends."

Former Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL

Pros

Great culture and people. Less like an impersonal business and more like a family working together. They constantly provided me opportunities. I learned a ton while I was there (left to go into a completely different line of work). Good mix of "regular" and "new" projects. Sometimes the hours were long but at least we were all working together.

Cons

They do not match 401k contributions and dental plan is below average. Other than that, things were great for a long time. Unfortunately, early this year things got a bit rough because of the economy and the "non team players" at the company began grumble and cause trouble. Once they left everything was good again though.

Advice to Management

I think the best advice I could give would be to tighten recruiting standards so no more "non team players" get back into the firm. A few bad apples can spoil the whole barrel.