Ocean Tomo - No clue about business | Glassdoor

"No clue about business"

Former Employee - Director
Former Employee - Director

Pros

Relatively diverse workforce. Interesting ideas. Nice offices.

Cons

Too many ideas--no execution. Very political environment, stay away if you are not related to or know someone very well in the firm. Entire view of the management is on creating valuable IP (they have several patents and many pending) not business value--marketing, sales, and operations are not priorities.

Advice to Management

Split up the firm into services, products, auction, and investments. Too many conflicts of interest

Other Employee Reviews for Ocean Tomo

1. "When the Going Was Good, It Was Great"

Pros

A company with a number of strong quality professionals. A great place to work if you are interested in chasing the next big thing or being the most innovative company out there. When the company was thriving, the environment was fun and upbeat.

Cons

Management seems to base business projections on best case scenario. Management slow to react and accept the changing economic environment. Empty promises made to employees about the future of certain business units. Promotions awarded based on questionable reasons.

Advice to Management

Seriously consider the viability of the company's goals and how realistic those goals are in the current market environment. Be straightforward with employees about business profitability.

"Good company"

Former Employee - Expert Testimony Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Expert Testimony Analyst in Chicago, IL

I worked at Ocean Tomo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This was my first job out of college and it was great. The people taught me a lot about business, financial analysis,and intellectual property. The office space was very nice. Social activities were good. I learned a lot, got to travel, and had great co-workers; not sure what else I could ask for. The only reason I left was because I got an unbelievable offer from a dotcom. Otherwise I would have stayed.

Cons

I've read some of the other reviews on here and I'll agree that it would be nice to have matching for the 401k. Not sure about some of the other negative comments as I was always treated well, though more transparency on firm revenue and earnings would have been good (to say "we are profitable" but not telling everyone how MUCH profit seems a bit too secretive).

Advice to Management

Although the space was very nice, all the Analysts (like me) had to sit in cubes, even when there were open offices available. Hey, would it have killed you to let some of us have a windowed office, even if only for a few months?