Oceaneering International - A good place to learn and grow with a reasonable time for promotion for the ambitious. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Oceaneering International

"A good place to learn and grow with a reasonable time for promotion for the ambitious."

Pros

They tend to see the employee as a vital part of the business and not just someone who works for them. The pay and benefits are good. The company also tries its best to be family oriented, that is, your family needs comes first with no repercussions.

Cons

Due to the company taking care of the workers, you may not have the top notch equipment you need to properly perform your task. Sometimes, there is a communication breakdown between production and material.

Advice to Management

Find ways to view the cost of material or equipment in comparison to time saved in man-hours and production. Make SURE that all levels of production and material are on the same page in order to keep costs low and production high.

Other Employee Reviews for Oceaneering International

1. "Its a great company to work for."

Pros

Oceaneering cares about its people. The company as a whole is very family oriented and will help you in any way possible during times of need.

Cons

In my division promotions are few and far between. Compared to other oil field service companies the salaries are on the low end.

"Interesting job but no leadership. Decided to move on to another company"

Current Employee - Senior Pilot Technician in Saint John's, NL (Canada)
    Current Employee - Senior Pilot Technician in Saint John's, NL (Canada)

Pros

Great pay and it's an interesting job. I liked working on ROVs and for the most part we had some pretty good guys on our team

Cons

They promote solely on seniority. Very poor working environment with absolutely no leadership. The problem as I see it is they hire too many backyard mechanics that know little to no electronics or hydraulic experience. Also when these people eventually get promoted, they have no clue how to lead or provide direction to a group of men. It's a vicious circle. No formal training necessary when your hired, they believe that they can train you. Unfortunately, attitude is not one of the things they can teach a person. Allot of bad attitudes where everyone thought they deserved timeoff or more money when in reality they never brought anything to the table to begin with. Where I was to, there was too many people who got ahead simply by back stabbing and ass kissing. Myself I like to be busy and there was always something to do if you wanted, but there was never any incentive to perform. Most times technicians would sit around and surf the Internet for three weeks at a time and only address things when they absolutely had to. They have a competency program where supposedly, if you have proven you are knowledgeable about a topic your supervisor will sign off that task for you. Most times this is a pencil whipping exercise which holds no merit We also had a couple of close calls that got down played by our management to avoid questions from our client. They like to preach safety but in my opinion, if your not a qualified electrician, or you don’t know what your doing, you shouldn’t be playing around in a 3000 volt PDU panel.

Anyway, I could go on and on about how ridiculous it was but I wasted four years of my life there and decided enough was enough. Basically I got tired of being unappreciated and a door mat. None the less I left on good terms and made a healthy change. I wish Oceaneering well and good luck but it's not an environment I want to go back into very quickly. I certainly would not recommend this as a good place to work. I took the experience and training and moved on.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to recruitment. Screen potential candidates and take a look at some of their resumes. Senority is a horrible way to promote people, especially if that person is clearly the wrong candidate for the job. Good luck to ya!