Office Depot - opportunities for advancement for dedicated individuals | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Office Depot

"opportunities for advancement for dedicated individuals"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Buena Park, CA
Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Buena Park, CA

I worked at Office Depot full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

i liked the results driven environment

Cons

sometimes management was inexperienced or unprepared

Advice to Management

hire college graduates in a managment fast track program.

Other Employee Reviews for Office Depot

1. "A positive team experience for a very frustrating company."

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist I in Northville, MI
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist I in Northville, MI

I worked at Office Depot full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

My team-members were very nice and fun people. The management usually allowed us to carry out our jobs as we were all fairly proficient. There was also a period of time where I was ill and everyone was very supportive of the amount of time I had to take off. Everyone seemed to pitch in.

Cons

The CEO at the time was determined to change everything from our job titles to department titles to the things we carried. This seemed to be both a waste of time, confusing to the customers, and draining of resources.
    There also seemed to be very little advancement opportunity.

Advice to Management

I think you should take a cue from staples and maintain stability over time. Perhaps this will protect your stock prices over time, as well.

"Its an ok job if you don't have bills."

Current Employee - CSS-1 in New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - CSS-1 in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Office Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's easy work if youre hired on as a CSS, you basically just help customers.

Cons

The pay could be much better. YOu'd be very lucky to start off with 8+ dollars per hr. You are pressured into using high pressure sales tactics to sell items via the ARC-3 process. The arc 3 process is basically recommending 3 products, cross selling (if you sell a printer ask if they need paper or ink with it) and closing the sale ( asking the customer "would you like me to bring this up t the register for you). Then after you've done that you are pressured into selling protection plans on
     all devices sold. The worst part is the use of the radio system. Every single last cutsomer that comes into the store has to be called out and basically stalked around the store to "assure they get what they need." It ends up just being a nuisance for the customer.

Another con is that it is basically impossible to move up. If you want to move up, youd have to be there for 5 plus years.

Advice to Management

Don't take your employees for granted. Recognize their effort and hard work.