Office Depot - Overall good, but too much retail for me personally | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Office Depot

"Overall good, but too much retail for me personally"

Current Employee - Department Manager in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Department Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Office Depot full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

products, people, service, certain customers, paycheck

Cons

schedule & vacation issues, negative pressure on managers

Advice to Management

standardization is great but flexibility allows for reaction to variables specific to each location

Other Employee Reviews for Office Depot

"Call Center Opportunity is Fair Considering..."

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative: Customer Service Representative in Signal Hill, CA

I worked at Office Depot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you need to take a job such as call center work when no other options are available Office Depot is a fair choice.

Cons

I find call center work to be annoying in the first place even though outwardly I act like a 'happy employee' I think Office Depot should give 'mini-breaks' of 2 five minute optional breaks per shift in addition to the standard break given on high calls in que days-one consecutive call after another with no pause to keep up with order entry goals made me feel like I couldn't catch my breath and relax especially if the caller was angry. We were able to disconnect to leave our desk but still...

Advice to Management

A few more breaks for those high volume days would have been nice!

2. "This store is going nowhere fast."

Current Employee - CS1 in Arlington Heights, Cook, IL
    Current Employee - CS1 in Arlington Heights, Cook, IL

I have been working at Office Depot part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Minimum wage. Bad benefits. I can only hope my son would never have to end up working for a store like this

Cons

Upper management threaten staff like no other job I've been at. There philosophy is: there is no work out there so they can take advantage of the staff by any means they see fit. Customers are stalked to the point where they leave. I have seen fellow associates harassed verbally and sometimes sexually at this location. HR is a joke. Never talk to HR about any concerns, they are not here to protect you. I've seen so many of my peers hours cut because of lack of protection plans being sold I.e. 20 hours to 4 hours a week. Commission is a joke. They set you up to fail. They discriminate against associates who are old, diabetic, hospitalized, and would never hire a female manager. In fact they fired all female management years ago. Women are not hired so don't bother applying. The reason given is the upper management do not want any distractions. There new isce program is the beginning of the end. If you get injured on the job, you will be jumping through loop holes to get compensation. Beware!

Advice to Management

Be careful with the harassment, show your employees more consideration, this location used to function much more efficiently until the old management was let go and replaced by irresponsible, and straight forward mean upper management. Do not expect to get vacation days when requested, do not expect a fair equal working environment. They take advantage of employees by dangling the bad economy in front of you.