Office Depot - This company just does not care about its employees | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Office Depot

"This company just does not care about its employees"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in El Cajon, CA
Current Employee - Sales Associate in El Cajon, CA

I have been working at Office Depot part-time (More than a year)

Pros

A part time job to put food on your table when there are no other jobs out there.

Cons

Minimal raises, overworked, does not promote from within, horrible management, just an all around horrible job.

Advice to Management

Promote from within. Do not go out there and recruit a manager who has never worked at office depot! there are plenty of people who already know the system that you can promote!

Other Employee Reviews for Office Depot

1. "there are better jobs out there for high school and college students"

Current Employee - Cashier in Frederick, MD
    Current Employee - Cashier in Frederick, MD

I have been working at Office Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- overall, management is good. they work hard for not enough pay.
    -its a job

Cons

- VERY unflexible. a month ahead of time i asked for 2 weeks off (but i could still work weekends) due to my high school band camp and because it was during back to school, i was practically yelled at by my managers and given a very hard time. another time i woke up sick (laying on the bathroom sick) so i called in sick two hours before my shift (no way i could've called in earlier) and was told if i couldnt come in that i would be fired.
    -as a cashier, i have to call out customers. of course, this leaves me between a rock and a hard place when the other customers im working with become uncomfortable when they hear that associates now stalk employees.
    -sometimes im very busy. sometimes im not and end up wandering aimlessly "facing" products until im given work to do. time does not go fast.

2. "Paper Trails. Everywhere!"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Lilburn, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Lilburn, GA

I worked at Office Depot part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-----------------------------
    -Very nice start job for people getting into retail
    -From store to store, the management varies. But it is always fair.
    -Compensation for up-selling ink and protection
    -Each department is easy to learn and seeking help through their store hotline is very good
    -----------------------------

Cons

-----------------------------
    -All employees hired on part-time start at the very bottom of minimum wage
    -Copy and Print department can be hectic sometimes
    -Learning is on a need to know basis. I learned more from employees than my managers.
    -Constantly changing policies within the store. (Ex. How you greet a customer and customer focus only during certain hours of the day)
    -----------------------------

Advice to Management

Quit changing your employee policies. I know the company is not headed in the best direction right now, but could you back off on how employees do their job? The customer is priority. With that being said, there is a point where you are just starting to bug people when it is the same employee harassing if you need help. Other than that, I think the company is well off where it is now.