Office Depot - Overall one of the best jobs I've had | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Office Depot

"Overall one of the best jobs I've had"

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist I in Elizabethtown, KY
Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist I in Elizabethtown, KY

I worked at Office Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The job is extremely easy, the employees and managers were all extremely laid back, pretty fun on most days, flexible schedule, closes early on major holidays. The store never got many customers either, so most of the time there was nothing to do, but I personally see that as a pro since I personally didn't mind getting paid to stand around.

Cons

The only bad thing was that they started this new program, where you basically have to harass every customer that walks through the door and then announce over the radio to your fellow co-workers why that customer was shopping there and what they were looking for. That got pretty annoying quick, especially since it caused us to have more angry customers than before. Also people called in a lot because they knew management wouldn't do anything about it, that was the only downside to management trying to be everyone's friend, sometimes you just have to be the boss.

Other Employee Reviews for Office Depot

"Used to be an excellent company to work for..."

Current Employee - Technology Specialist in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Technology Specialist in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at Office Depot part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

For a retail sales associate position, my pay was adequate. Under the company's current policies, though it is very rare that sales associates become eligible to earn commission, when we do, it is a nice bonus.

Cons

Office Depot's new customer service program known as "ISCE" is nothing more than a dog and pony show for upper level managers to listen to in the store parking lot. (ISCE requires unnecessary radio communication, and hinders the associate's ability to focus on the customer.) While ISCE brought about some good ideas, the execution was very poor...

The company's problem resolution process is also completely broken. If you have an issue with your manager, there is nothing in place to prevent them from retaliating against you if you dare report their illegal behavior. I personally witnessed a pregnant employee get harassed each day she came to work, when she reported the behavior, they terminated her before the management could be punished.

I've worked for the same store for 4 years, and I have never seen a single internal promotion. Management frequently gets shuffled around making it difficult to develop steady working relationships.

Advice to Management

Lets stop playing games with the radios, and lets get back to doing what we used to de best: Taking Care of Business. Also, promote from within!

"The company is getting a bit desperate."

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist I in Hampton, VA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist I in Hampton, VA

I have been working at Office Depot part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Mostly nice coworkers
    Great first job
    Provides networking opportunity

Cons

The ICE program
    Emphasis on customer service to the point that customers get annoyed, and I can't get work done.
    Lacking in necessary technical equipment
    Little for advancement.

Advice to Management

Such fanatical customer service is not helpful, it is annoying. You're going to push away more customers than you keep, and lose your best employees if you stay the course.