Office Depot - it is very micro managed | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Office Depot

"it is very micro managed"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Portland, OR
Current Employee - Store Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at Office Depot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

money is very good yo

Cons

it is very micro managed

Advice to Management

it is very micro managed

Other Employee Reviews for Office Depot

"ISCE program is Horrible"

Former Employee - Copy and Print Associate in Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Copy and Print Associate in Charleston, SC

I worked at Office Depot part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexibale on hours. Some of the people I worked with were pretty great. But that has nothing to do with the company itself and how it's run.

Cons

The benefits they give you aren't worth spit. The LIMITED health plan eats away at your paycheck (for someone who barely gets 15 hours a week) for crappy coverage. I got sick in the middle of my year their. Had to take a month off for medical leave. The health plan practically paid for nothing. And they tried to screw me on coverage by cancelling my health coverage during my sick leave even though I filed the proper paperwork. Cancelled as soon as I got outside coverage.

The Copy and Print section hardware was severely out of date. As a tech store, the copy and print computers were ten years old if not older. We still worked on CRT monitors that were dim, and couldn't show color accurately. The computers themselves still had 3.5 disk slots and used a skinned version of windows xp that for some odd reason, disabled a lot of right-click functions. The software was current, but the computers were barely able to run them.

The ISCE program was created by some quack business major or third rate marketing firm. All assocoiated had to wear radios, that wasn't the problem. The problem arose when the ISCE program started. We have to greet the store into the radio with a this saying,"Time to grow...one customer at a time." I would usually just say my name and that I was now on the floor. Management had a problem with the fact I didn't say that line as it was written. I felt that because the customer does not hear it, nor see it, nor does it seem to do anything for raising sales, it was pointless corporate word-speak and psycho-babble that just repackaged the "customer is always right," and felt like a way to squash individual thought like the Borg from Star Trek. Management had a problem with me improvising my own greetings trying to make my fellow co-workers laugh. After getting corrected for not saying the greeting, I eventually stopped greeting all together.

The constant radio chatter of who walked in, who got what, who they helped, where they are going made it harder for someone like me trying to get instructions from my customer on what they want me to do with their documents. Of course, management also wanted me to call out what i did with the customer over the radio, even though I wrote it down on the log for the day. I couldn't do it most days because I would handle customers right after the other. Even though I was one of the few people who knew how to do a lot of the more complex design work in copy and print, I was let go because I didn't participate in the radio chatter and refused to greet the store in the exact written manner. I had fellow co-workers that were constantly on their phone, didn't do any work, eat in front of the customer as they were helping them, and I was let go for radio chatter and a greeting.

Advice to Management

Get better health coverage for your employees. Update the hardware for the copy and print employees .Drop the mandatory greeting. Drop the constant radio chatter. Drop ISCE and just go back to the basic serve the customer mentality.

2. "disappointing"

Former Employee - Director in Boca Raton, FL
    Former Employee - Director in Boca Raton, FL

I worked at Office Depot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly, generally good-hearted people. Nice corporate campus with amenities such as fitness center and dry cleaning

Cons

No real sense of how the company will succeed. Chronic re-orgs, outsourcing and lay-offs.

Advice to Management

Craft a vision and share it with employees