Office Depot - Insane pressure and requirements for working with each customer | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Office Depot

"Insane pressure and requirements for working with each customer"

Current Employee - CSS-1 in Portland, OR
Current Employee - CSS-1 in Portland, OR

I have been working at Office Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Its a job
-Can be rewarding with a skilled sales team (commission relies on consistent daily goals for a month)
-Flexible hours
-Time off usually approved

Cons

-Never ending earpiece radio chatter all day due to ISCE (In Store Customer Experience program)
-Minimum wage pay for all positions that aren't management
-Management gets lots of pressure to pressure the entry level associates to sell protection plans and help every single customer
-Customer "mapping" (stalking every move and conversation customers have with associates)
-Lack of appreciation when associates make significant sales or commission items
-Consistent tracking of where you are, what you're doing, and how fast you're getting it done
-No time alotted for tasks during the day
-Technicians do not receive adequate time to fix the computers they are pressured so hard to sell services for

Advice to Management

Remove the ISCE program. Please, it's painful.

Other Employee Reviews for Office Depot

1. "Good environment; however non-competitive pay."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norcross, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norcross, GA

I have been working at Office Depot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great coworkers minimizes stress levels which leads to an overall good working environment. In comparison to other organizations the Norcross office has a laid back relaxed environment.

Cons

High turnover mainly due to low pay. Low sense of job security due to inefficient upper management which tend to make drastic changes every few months, which also includes getting rid of long tenured employees

Advice to Management

Promote those who deserve to be promoted

"ISCE program = FEAR Campaign"

Former Employee - Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Office Depot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

When I started with the company in 2007 it was fantastic. We had the usual payroll constraints and would always wish we had an extra person or two to help out but overall we were happy, and morale was high. We would work hard and our upper level managers appreciated us. As managers we were empowered to make business decisions based on how we perceived they would positively impact our business. Over time, that model changed and there was a correlation between how well the employees were treated and the decline of our overall sales.

Cons

The upper level management has grown increasingly incompetent and increasingly dishonest. They value their egos over the long term viability of the company. The ISCE program is a fear campaign more concerned with disciplining associates than satisfying the customer. Morale is terrible within the company and productivity is on the decline.

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees and they will take care of your customers. Harass your managers and cut the salaries of your assistant managers and you breed a compliance culture dead set on doing the absolute minimum required to do their jobs.