Office Depot - Overall a good place to work. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Office Depot

"Overall a good place to work."

I have been working at Office Depot full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Scheduling, variety of products to sell, work with great people.

Cons

I.S.C.E. program is borderline harassment of customers, and constant micromanaging of managers.

Advice to Management

Make goals for locations more realistic, and pay closer attention to customer base for product sales.

Other Employee Reviews for Office Depot

1. "Office Depot"

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist - II
    Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist - II

I have been working at Office Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good management, good to work for, good benefits once you get into a full time position, good ethics, good ballance of time, not too strict but not to lax, good to work for.

Cons

Not enough full time positions available, not enough internal promotions, pay could be a little better as could the benefis for part time employees.

Advice to Management

More internal promotions.

2. "Horrible corporate management fueled by deception and using its employees."

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Office Depot full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nothing really is a pro at this retailer.

Cons

This list of cons could go on for days so I will just keep it short with a few of the cons that stand out to me at the moment. Underpaying associates tremendously! Fact: If you are hired off the street, you will get paid more knowing nothing than if you were to get a promotion and knowing everything about the store. Overworking employees. Not providing training. Not providing necessary payroll to run a store properly (some stores can't even staff a cashier). Pressures employees to sell services and warranties that aren't needed just to get the customers money. No policies actually mean anything. Totally mess in corporate; you get commended for doing the right thing by customers and then torn a new one by corporate, then if the situation was reversed and you followed the company policy that corporate created and the customer wasn't pleased, you get torn a new one for that. It's a lose-lose situation. Raises are horrible, unless you like 0 to 10 cents every year. The review process is rigged so you can't get reviews that you deserve. Same with the commission on selling services, the goals are set so high that the company rarely worries about paying out for hard work.

Advice to Management

Actually spend some "reality time" in your retail stores to understand how to properly run the company. The current model is horrible. Maybe try to actually set up a set of policies that you will actually use as opposed to setting up policies to which you instruct us to bend and break as to the situation and then scold us when news of such behavior reaches you. I have no doubt some of the part time workers could do a better job running the company because they actually see and know what is going on in the eyes of the customer. Also, maybe spend some money on advertising. Call me crazy but maybe that will get some people in the door. And if you do splurge and let people know you exist in the retail world, make sure the commercial isn't a horrible cryptic attempt at humor that the general public won't understand because absolutely no one knows what "Depot Time" means, nor would that care. Think of a better gimmick. That was easy. Now there is a great slogan and advertising campaign.