Office Depot - some days are better than others | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Office Depot

"some days are better than others"

Current Employee - Cashier in Daytona Beach, FL
Current Employee - Cashier in Daytona Beach, FL

I have been working at Office Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Not working early in the morning/late in the evening-although closing at 9 and not leaving until 10 gets very frustrating at times. Some ok people to work with. Customers are treated like royalty which is ok at times, but asking to run after a customer who left the store over $2 isnt/shouldnt be in the job description.

Cons

Very poor hourly wage, I was upset to find out I didnt get a little higher wage being a college graduate. Until the veterans get used to working with you, be ready to get treated like dirt. For the first month I was treated terribly. Seems to get better as time goes on. Being treated like a slave all the time. No work/life balance...put in for 2 days off 18 days ahead of time and still was not granted the time off. Working all day, every weekend unless you say you cant. Cant there be a balance?

Advice to Management

Treat your cashiers and floor people better. We are basically the ones running the store. Customers come into contact with us, not you. So maybe if we were treated like equals instead of slaves the overall store would be in better operation.

Other Employee Reviews for Office Depot

1. "I like it"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Office Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You are doing your job in friendly team and management. You will train in all areas of jobs in store except for management.

Cons

To increase your wage a little bit you have to work about 1 year. At this moment for non-management positions they have only part-time

Advice to Management

Good management

2. "Dysfunctional Work Environment"

Former Employee - Department Manager in Topeka, KS
    Former Employee - Department Manager in Topeka, KS

I worked at Office Depot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great employees \ co-workers
    ...I can't think of anything else

Cons

Office Depot's motto is "Let's Grow One Customer At A Time" yet they expect you to assist 8-10 customers simultaneously. Store management usually sits in an office all day and does 'paperwork' - leaving the lesser manager to run the entire 30,000 + sq foot sales floor. Turn over rate is incredibly high - my store lost over 20 employees in a 3 month period. Training is all computer based. Radios gave me a headache from the constant unnecessary chatter. I had a short time with OD but I could tell by their outdated posters in the break room - this company has been through about 2 dozen "Customer Service Programs" in its time.

Advice to Management

Give up and close your business. You are losing money and become a more irrelevant retailer every day - sell to Staples and let them do the heavy lifting.