Office Depot - Family | Glassdoor

"Family"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Austin, TX
Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Austin, TX

I have been working at Office Depot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

SPIFFs, Competitions, Challenges to make extra money and win rewards, I won an IPad 2 this year, my buddy won a trip to Italy

Cons

New position so they are still working out kinks, and learning process

Advice to Management

Continue to take care of your employees and they will continue to take care of your customers.

Other Employee Reviews for Office Depot

1. "Solid company with good people but misguided priorities."

Former Employee - Technology Sales Specialist
    Former Employee - Technology Sales Specialist

I worked at Office Depot part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Flexible and willing to fit your schedule.
    -Focus on customer service is the right idea.
    -Friendly and cooperative managers.
    -Good for part-time work

Cons

-Too much focus on the selling of PPPs(Product Protection Plans) and up-selling in general. While these services fit some customers needs and do help out the bottom line, at a certain point they become too heavily focused upon and can make buyers feel uncomfortable and the sales associates feel pressured.

-Stores are not provided enough payroll and/or employees. Cross-training became an excuse to schedule one less person and as a result the store suffered and so did productivity.

-Non managers should be payed more. You cant expect an associate to give outstanding customer service while receiving a minimum wage. Employees are an investment and need to be treated as such.

Advice to Management

Pay your associates more! If you want an employees best then don't give them your minimum. Keep the focus on the customer and not on selling PPPs.

2. "Radio surveillance of the customers is just plain creepy."

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist I in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist I in Miami, FL

I have been working at Office Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I can't honestly think of any pros at this time. Office Depot has a lot of work to do to make it the great company I know it can be.

Cons

Radio surveillance forced on us by corporate makes us feel uncomfortable and most of all makes customers feel like "big brothers watching". We have to interrupt customers while they're talking to report CONSTANTLY to our supervisors. Supervisors are hard on us because corporate keeps threatening their jobs so I understand their position. Next other stores like Best Buy/Apple/Microsoft, pay techs separately from sales associates, and much higher in fact, techs in Office Depot get payed nearly half their salary for doing BOTH jobs.

Advice to Management

Reduce radio chatter to PRIORITY MESSAGES. Make a more satisfactory protection plan, customers don't like having to deal with third party companies, they like dealing with Office Depot directly. In the store I work in the associates are dropping like flies, want to keep them? Pay them accordingly and competitively to other top notch tech companies.