Office Depot - Family | Glassdoor

"Family"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Austin, TX
Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Austin, TX

I have been working at Office Depot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

SPIFFs, Competitions, Challenges to make extra money and win rewards, I won an IPad 2 this year, my buddy won a trip to Italy

Cons

New position so they are still working out kinks, and learning process

Advice to Management

Continue to take care of your employees and they will continue to take care of your customers.

Other Employee Reviews for Office Depot

1. "Radio surveillance of the customers is just plain creepy."

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist I in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist I in Miami, FL

I have been working at Office Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I can't honestly think of any pros at this time. Office Depot has a lot of work to do to make it the great company I know it can be.

Cons

Radio surveillance forced on us by corporate makes us feel uncomfortable and most of all makes customers feel like "big brothers watching". We have to interrupt customers while they're talking to report CONSTANTLY to our supervisors. Supervisors are hard on us because corporate keeps threatening their jobs so I understand their position. Next other stores like Best Buy/Apple/Microsoft, pay techs separately from sales associates, and much higher in fact, techs in Office Depot get payed nearly half their salary for doing BOTH jobs.

Advice to Management

Reduce radio chatter to PRIORITY MESSAGES. Make a more satisfactory protection plan, customers don't like having to deal with third party companies, they like dealing with Office Depot directly. In the store I work in the associates are dropping like flies, want to keep them? Pay them accordingly and competitively to other top notch tech companies.

2. "Started off great...complete nightmare after ISCE."

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Office Depot full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule even at management level. Competitive salaries. Prices reasonable and policies lenient compared to competition; makes for happier customers.

Cons

Too much upper management. Workplace procedures are way too over thought to the point that all activities for the day are literally spelled out and must be followed to a "T." Common response to any customer complaint/issue is just the give them anything they want regardless of situation. This actually causes a decrease in overall profit. A lot of standing around due to ISCE (In Store Customer Experience) program. Approach to "growing sales" is completely backwards and illogical.

Advice to Management

Get a clue. Mesh company initiatives to fit reality. This is not a fairy tale world. Maybe try to mimic companies that have thrived in sales instead of coming up with your own off-the-wall ideas. Clean house and start over.