Office Depot - It's good | Glassdoor

"It's good"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Portland, OR
Current Employee - Store Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at Office Depot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Retail gig, what can I say? It has it's ups and downs.

Cons

Expectations high to impossible. Can be very rough.

Advice to Management

Less ISCE

Other Employee Reviews for Office Depot

1. "An excellent place to learn some skills and get your feet wet for retail."

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist I in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist I in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Office Depot part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked here as a CSS-1 for almost 2 years.

The co workers I met were just awesome, and management was ok. I met alot of customers and some of them actually started to come in to see me. You do get recognized for the work that you put in. For example If you go above and beyond the expectations then managers will notice! They issue Bravo cards every time you do something extra special. So your achievements will be recognized. Sometimes my managers would buy us lunch/food.

You will learn how to approach a customer and learn how to provide customer service. The skills you learn here are the best. Also if you work here for a bit it will make things easier when you try to get another job in retail. For example if you work here for a bit and learn the skills you could apply at a furniture store, consumer electronics store, and even a cell phone retail store. The possibilities are endless once you acquire the skills at this job!

Cons

Terrible pay. I started in Aug of 2011 at 7.40 an hour and after a year I only got a 0.22 cent raise. Also a lot of new faces were coming in as associates and were getting paid more than me!

You will do alot of stuff for little money. Corporate will tell employees to do some very ridiculous things. Picking up for other peoples slack.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees more.

2. "Very demanding as a manager"

Current Employee - Department Manager in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Office Depot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The hours as a department manager remain at around 40.
    Great benefits.
    The turnover rate doesn't seem to be too high in my store.

Cons

Don't bank on commission. The goals are, at times, outrageous and most times we don't bonus.

Not an encouraging or coaching environment. They seem to only focus on negatives.

Not enough payroll to be fully staffed so the tasks don't get done and if they do then it takes working on days off or ignoring customers... both of which are frowned upon.
    The hours are all over the place. Sometimes I open, sometimes I close. The days off are rarely consistent.
    NOT a good place for a parent... especially a single parent.
    Does not respect personal values when it comes to going to church. I wouldn't ever complain about it to HR but I work a lot of sundays even after requesting them off.

The workload they drop on you as a manager is a LOT!!! Too much for us to do then we get hounded for it not being done. I am hoping that the merge with office max will help.
    Most store managers sit in their office most of the time then wonder why the store is lacking.

Advice to Management

MORE PAYROLL!!! We need more people in the stores to get everything done properly!
    More in depth, hands on training for our copy and print specialists along with higher pay for them (That is one of the hardest jobs in the store, if done right)
    Set hours.