Office Depot - I was assigned to forklift duty but they made me do manual labor for two weeks and it ended up in a lumbar strain. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Office Depot

"I was assigned to forklift duty but they made me do manual labor for two weeks and it ended up in a lumbar strain."

Current Employee - Forklift Driver/Dockworker Temp in Houston, TX
Current Employee - Forklift Driver/Dockworker Temp in Houston, TX

I have been working at Office Depot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Large companie with a public presence can offer some job security.Huge public presence!

Cons

They may ask for too much of you! They should'nt have forklift operators working along-side/with the general labor help.You are paid more and shouldn't be put in that type of situation.

Advice to Management

Don't overwork agents.!

Other Employee Reviews for Office Depot

1. "customer service rep"

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate I in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate I in Houston, TX

I have been working at Office Depot part-time (More than a year)

Pros

flexible hours, 15-25 hrs is standard for most hourly employee. Work is relatively easy in the evening time and the atmosphere is somewhat laidback

Cons

Very little benefit for part-time employee. advancement from within is somewhat obsolete. Unrealistic time goal for morning freight team. Also recently Office Depot has Lower the Wages for Hourly employee that the CO. thought was making TOO much money for their position, this left alot of employee that been with the Co. for more than two years to take less money per hour than what they was making before. Department manager is often Overwork 46hr to 50hr a week. Office Depot is heavy when it comes to micromanaging it manager and employee as well as the turn over rate....and Of course the Politics.....often time you have to be A YES \ comedian person to advance with no regards to skill and experience for the job.

Advice to Management

More communication to employee. Stop the micromanaging aspect of the business. Often time if you take care of your employee the end results will be that they will take care of you and the business. Open up the opportunity for advancement from within. Wages have to be more competitive, especially for your long term employee. Forward is the progress not backward .

"50/50"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at Office Depot full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

My experience as a manager equipped me with the knowledge and skills I needed to advance my career at another company. I learned a great deal about excellent customer service, which Office Depot to their credit, strives for on a daily basis. Office Depot offers fairly good benefits for employees and their families. They offer competitive salaries in the retail industry if you are an "outside" hire. Most store level managers I worked with over the years (nine total), cared about their employees and tried to make the work environment a positive one. Office Depot was very good at rewarding employees for cultivating excellent customer service and meeting sales goals.

Cons

Advancement is not easy, and is often times political (who you know). Upper management (District Managers, Regional Managers) are generally arrogant and non-personal. I say "generally", because of my personal experience working with six different district managers, of which, only one was amiable. The others were autocratic, overly presumptuous and pretentious (or just "arrogant" as I stated above). They seemed to really love the "got ya" moments; even if you were following protocol they often made you feel incompetent. Upper management and the cut-throat culture that they themselves foster is why I left the company after nearly a decade. Of course after I turned in my notice, not a single person from corporate (nor my own district manager) inquired as to the reason for my departure.

Advice to Management

Trust your store managers...District managers should be less of the proverbial "big-brother" and much more of a support system. I still am not sure to this today what a District Manager at Office Depot actually does besides visit stores....maybe a little more transparency is needed in the company? Encourage your 'inside' applicants with better salaries; knowing that an 'outside' hire makes on average 20% more than you is really disconcerting and demoralizing.