Office Depot - I was assigned to forklift duty but they made me do manual labor for two weeks and it ended up in a lumbar strain. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Office Depot

"I was assigned to forklift duty but they made me do manual labor for two weeks and it ended up in a lumbar strain."

Current Employee - Forklift Driver/Dockworker Temp in Houston, TX
Current Employee - Forklift Driver/Dockworker Temp in Houston, TX

I have been working at Office Depot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Large companie with a public presence can offer some job security.Huge public presence!

Cons

They may ask for too much of you! They should'nt have forklift operators working along-side/with the general labor help.You are paid more and shouldn't be put in that type of situation.

Advice to Management

Don't overwork agents.!

Other Employee Reviews for Office Depot

"50/50"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at Office Depot full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

My experience as a manager equipped me with the knowledge and skills I needed to advance my career at another company. I learned a great deal about excellent customer service, which Office Depot to their credit, strives for on a daily basis. Office Depot offers fairly good benefits for employees and their families. They offer competitive salaries in the retail industry if you are an "outside" hire. Most store level managers I worked with over the years (nine total), cared about their employees and tried to make the work environment a positive one. Office Depot was very good at rewarding employees for cultivating excellent customer service and meeting sales goals.

Cons

Advancement is not easy, and is often times political (who you know). Upper management (District Managers, Regional Managers) are generally arrogant and non-personal. I say "generally", because of my personal experience working with six different district managers, of which, only one was amiable. The others were autocratic, overly presumptuous and pretentious (or just "arrogant" as I stated above). They seemed to really love the "got ya" moments; even if you were following protocol they often made you feel incompetent. Upper management and the cut-throat culture that they themselves foster is why I left the company after nearly a decade. Of course after I turned in my notice, not a single person from corporate (nor my own district manager) inquired as to the reason for my departure.

Advice to Management

Trust your store managers...District managers should be less of the proverbial "big-brother" and much more of a support system. I still am not sure to this today what a District Manager at Office Depot actually does besides visit stores....maybe a little more transparency is needed in the company? Encourage your 'inside' applicants with better salaries; knowing that an 'outside' hire makes on average 20% more than you is really disconcerting and demoralizing.

"Software engineers beware!"

Former Contractor - Software Engineer in Boca Raton, FL
    Former Contractor - Software Engineer in Boca Raton, FL

I worked at Office Depot as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

I can't really say there were any pros. If I could give this zero stars, I would definitely do so.

Cons

Poor on-boarding with new hires.

Current software engineers are not open to giving work to new hires, and greatly overestimate how difficult their work loads are, possibly due to disorganization or improper knowledge of how to execute.

Extremely disorganized, and very poor communication skills between teams, and management is unwilling to correct the issues.

Advice to Management

Teach your employees to communicate properly. In this day and age, software developers should have an idea how to properly utilize email, chat, and conference calls.

Improve your on-boarding processes.

Take a look at how long people are saying simple tasks will take ... the time being estimated for tasking is greatly exaggerated.